C5 Passenger mirror

Old August 22nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Default C5 Passenger mirror

What's been the going price on R&R of the passenger side mirror?

Mine got trashed in the church parking lot Saturday evening. I'm
guessing about $ 800 since the C4 mirror was $ 400 back in '95.

--
PJ
Old August 25th 06, 12:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Peter Wood

In Eastern can., I have to replace glass only on 2001 coupe (passenger side)
but was told had to buy complete mirror. Was quoted $328. Canadian plus has
to be painted and installed.

Fortunately am now told that glass only can be ordered. Cost of repair now
to be considerably less.

PW

Old August 25th 06, 02:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Peter Wood wrote:
> In Eastern can., I have to replace glass only on 2001 coupe (passenger side)
> but was told had to buy complete mirror. Was quoted $328. Canadian plus has
> to be painted and installed.
>
> Fortunately am now told that glass only can be ordered. Cost of repair now
> to be considerably less.
>
> PW

Thanks Peter, Good info -- hope I can do as well. Based on that, I'd
figure about $ 550 fincluding an hour's labor and a trip to the paint
booth. -- Will call around to local dealers. It's tempting to ask that
they not paint it. Then, pay my airbrush artist do the job using owing
Dad's Duplicolor instructions.

On this one, "they" forced the inboard edge and screwed up the lateral
positioning mechanism.

Note to self: Start parking in the better parts of town.

--
PJ
Old August 25th 06, 03:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"PJ" > wrote in message news:CoKGg.6301$Tl4.1981@dukeread06...
> What's been the going price on R&R of the passenger side mirror?
>
> Mine got trashed in the church parking lot Saturday evening. I'm guessing
> about $ 800 since the C4 mirror was $ 400 back in '95.
>
> --
> PJ

The shell goes for about $100, the motor kit and positioning spider inside goes
for $85, and the glass goes for $33, (be careful when you order or you may get a
strange language on the glass).

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 25th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Dad wrote:

> The shell goes for about $100, the motor kit and positioning spider inside goes
> for $85, and the glass goes for $33, (be careful when you order or you may get a
> strange language on the glass).

Thanks Dad! Good info!

I think that all the damage is to the spider. Looks like they forced it
off the lateral motor (I'm assuming these are screw-jacks like in the
C4.) Both motors run, the vertical tilts the mirror OK. Laterally, the
mirror is jammed beyond the 'full left' position. Glass and thermo
connections look OK, The shell hinge still pivots OK and the detent
feels good but the hinge looks slightly misaligned.

I overhauled one of the C4 mirrors some years back. Sounds like a good
weekend project and an opportunity to pocket a few bucks -- thanks again.

--
PJ
Old August 25th 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"PJ" > wrote in message news:lgIHg.7174$Tl4.2308@dukeread06...
> Thanks Dad! Good info!
>
> I think that all the damage is to the spider. Looks like they forced it off
> the lateral motor (I'm assuming these are screw-jacks like in the C4.) Both
> motors run, the vertical tilts the mirror OK. Laterally, the mirror is jammed
> beyond the 'full left' position. Glass and thermo connections look OK, The
> shell hinge still pivots OK and the detent feels good but the hinge looks
> slightly misaligned.
>
> I overhauled one of the C4 mirrors some years back. Sounds like a good
> weekend project and an opportunity to pocket a few bucks -- thanks again.
>
> --
> PJ

If you read your yahoo mail I can send you a dpf of the breakdown and part
numbers.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 25th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Dad wrote:
> "PJ" > wrote in message news:lgIHg.7174$Tl4.2308@dukeread06...
>> Thanks Dad! Good info!
>>
>> I think that all the damage is to the spider. Looks like they forced it off
>> the lateral motor (I'm assuming these are screw-jacks like in the C4.) Both
>> motors run, the vertical tilts the mirror OK. Laterally, the mirror is jammed
>> beyond the 'full left' position. Glass and thermo connections look OK, The
>> shell hinge still pivots OK and the detent feels good but the hinge looks
>> slightly misaligned.
>>
>> I overhauled one of the C4 mirrors some years back. Sounds like a good
>> weekend project and an opportunity to pocket a few bucks -- thanks again.
>>
>> --
>> PJ

> If you read your yahoo mail I can send you a dpf of the breakdown and part
> numbers.

Sure, will check it this weekend. PJ

--
PJ
Old August 26th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Peter Wood

Another update on my mirror .....when they tried to order using ser. no. of
car, according to GM parts, had to buy complete mirror. Parts person found
p/n some other way and was able to order only glass and plastic backing
plate.

My mirror had same problem asyoui have described.....someone or something
forced the mirror and broke one of the mounting piece on back of mirror.

Dealer called to say glass in....went to pick up today and it appears to be
the same except where the wires for defrost plugs in are sitting 90 deg.
from where original was positioned. I still think it will fit....enough room
behind mirror to fit plug in.

And message on glass is in English.

I'm taking car to dealer first of week for some other work and will have
them install at same time. I don't have mirror with me but if you need part
no., I can get it first of week.

If this doesn't work, I still think I can McGiver something with the old
one.

Will keep you updated.

PW

Old August 27th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
localhost

I had one replace when I was in Texas at the local dealer in Lewisville
north of Dallas. It was $273.34 total. Even included being panited to match
the car.
CW