How to test fuel injectors?

Old March 7th 05, 03:34 AM
cp

Default How to test fuel injectors?

Hi, I want to sell my '86 TQ but will need to do something about the injectors. When running normally the car is smoother than some
of the A4 I have seen but it does look like the injectors need changing, hopefully not all of them, I don't want to put money into
the car before I sell it. Is there a way to test the injectors without using instrumentation? As well, anyone know of a source for
reasonable priced injectors?

TIA
cp

Old March 7th 05, 04:26 AM
Tony

You could pull the injectors and test by holding them in a bottle to look for an
even spray pattern when the engine is cranked over (disconnect coil first). But
pulling them is a bit difficult without a special lever tool and once pulled out
you should replace the 'O' rings at the tip of each one before replacing to
avoid potential leaks and vacuum leaks.

If you find a bad one replacing is probably $35 + per injector unless you get
them used and then the used ones may not be any better.

My advice - Spent $5 for a bottle of Techron injector cleaner and add to about
10 gallons of gas.

Tony
'91 100q 5spd
'98.5 A4 1.8TQ 5spd APR stage 1