SUV and Parking

Old July 21st 05, 07:46 PM
Ed White

If I ran a mall or other buisness that included a private parking lot,
I'd have a tow truck on stand-by. Illegal parkers woul dbe towed before
they got in the fornt door. At the local coliseum, which has assigned
parking for some events, they have several tow trucks waiting to move
illegally parked cars. I've seen a guy with the low arm style tow
device back under a front wheel drive car and move it without ever
getting out of the truck. When I saw it, I wondered two things - 1)
what would have happened if the driver had set the emergency brake, 2)
how did he handle cars when he did not have access to the drive wheels?

Ed

Old July 21st 05, 08:32 PM
Ted B.

"Ed White" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> If I ran a mall or other buisness that included a private parking lot,
> I'd have a tow truck on stand-by. Illegal parkers woul dbe towed before
> they got in the fornt door. At the local coliseum, which has assigned
> parking for some events, they have several tow trucks waiting to move
> illegally parked cars. I've seen a guy with the low arm style tow
> device back under a front wheel drive car and move it without ever
> getting out of the truck. When I saw it, I wondered two things - 1)
> what would have happened if the driver had set the emergency brake, 2)
> how did he handle cars when he did not have access to the drive wheels?
>
> Ed

I can answer that one. The car is pulled into a position where it can be
towed away. Yes, that sometimes means that black marks are left in the
parking lot. -Dave

Old July 21st 05, 10:07 PM

Ed White wrote:
> It is not just SUV drivers that take up two spots, or park in the "fire
> lane" or park in the handicap spaces. Rude and tohoughless people drive
> all sorts of vehicles. How many times have you seen a BMW, Merceedes or
> even a COrvellt taking up two spaces?

I see pickups and SUVs in these positions more often than any other
type of vehicle. The last two infractions something resembling their
percentage of population 'round these parts.

But the first? Overwhelmingly trucks and SUVs. And not on purpose,
either. They skip the wider spots to park in the "compact" spaces. I
love pulling up on the left side of those vehicles in my beater compact
and parking my passenger door an inch away from their driver door, all
while remaining fully in my own spot.

E.P.

Old July 21st 05, 10:24 PM

Hi All,

When I'm trying to find a parking spot and one of these cars (not
always an SUV) are parked like this, I take GREAT pleasure in squeezing my
rusty, dented 1981 Honda Civic next door - passenger side otherwise I
can't get out. I give a 'few' inches space. It's even better if I can get
my passenger door next to the other driver door! I live in France, so am
not particularly worried about getting shot by some gun nut. On one
occasion I explained (ahem, in French) to the irate Suisse Madame (who
parked one of those Cayenne idiot-mobiles across two spots) that it was
not my bad parking causing the problem and that I won't be back to my car
for at least half an hour... On a similar theme, while walking past a
supermarket car park in West London (England) I observed a very angry
couple gaining entry to their Mercedes M-class via the rear boot. The Merc
wasn't badly parked, the cars on either side were parked just fine, but it
was FAR too big for the parking spot. I shoulda taken a pic, but they
really weren't happy about all the people smirking at them.

Cheers, John.
Old July 22nd 05, 01:25 AM
C. E. White

> wrote in message
ern.ch...

> Hi All,
>
> When I'm trying to find a parking spot and one of these cars (not
> always an SUV) are parked like this, I take GREAT pleasure in squeezing my
> rusty, dented 1981 Honda Civic next door - passenger side otherwise I
> can't get out. I give a 'few' inches space. It's even better if I can get
> my passenger door next to the other driver door! I live in France, so am
> not particularly worried about getting shot by some gun nut. On one
> occasion I explained (ahem, in French) to the irate Suisse Madame (who
> parked one of those Cayenne idiot-mobiles across two spots) that it was
> not my bad parking causing the problem and that I won't be back to my car
> for at least half an hour... On a similar theme, while walking past a
> supermarket car park in West London (England) I observed a very angry
> couple gaining entry to their Mercedes M-class via the rear boot. The Merc
> wasn't badly parked, the cars on either side were parked just fine, but it
> was FAR too big for the parking spot. I shoulda taken a pic, but they
> really weren't happy about all the people smirking at them.

So would people had smirked at people driving a Honda Accord (71.5" wide),
Toyota Camry (70.7" wide), or VW Passat (68.7" wide)? All of the vehicles
are within 3.5" of the width of a Merceedes M-Class (72.4")? I can't imagine
the difference in width between an Accord and an M-Class would have been the
make or break difference in being able to get in the car. And at least with
the M-Class you could go in through the rear hatch.

Regards,

Ed White

Old July 22nd 05, 01:47 AM
y_p_w

Rozo wrote:
> For those who wish to see evidences of SUV drivers' attitude problem:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/digitallfun/

The city of Palo Alto, California has a policy for parking cars larger
than 72 inches wide or 15 feet long in compact spaces. The article
also mentions the lot where I used to park in Berkeley every day. The
lot was often full:

"Berkeley's two city garages and two city lots are managed by Ampco
parking, where manager Rex Barrios said oversize parking in compact
spots has not been brought to his attention as a problem.

Tickets are issued and cars are towed, however, when people purposely
take two spaces to park one car to avoid dings, Barrios said."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...02/MN55782.DTL

Recently I saw a large van in my office complex garage that was two
feet into the next space. A violation notice was attached, with the
threat of revokation of parking privileges.

Old July 22nd 05, 02:39 AM
fbloogyudsr

"C. E. White" > wrote
> > wrote ... On a similar theme, while walking past a
>> supermarket car park in West London (England) I observed a very angry
>> couple gaining entry to their Mercedes M-class via the rear boot. The
>> Merc
>> wasn't badly parked, the cars on either side were parked just fine, but
>> it
>> was FAR too big for the parking spot. I shoulda taken a pic, but they
>> really weren't happy about all the people smirking at them.

> So would people had smirked at people driving a Honda Accord (71.5" wide),
> Toyota Camry (70.7" wide), or VW Passat (68.7" wide)? All of the vehicles
> are within 3.5" of the width of a Merceedes M-Class (72.4")? I can't
> imagine the difference in width between an Accord and an M-Class would
> have been the make or break difference in being able to get in the car.
> And at least with the M-Class you could go in through the rear hatch.

Except, Ed, that the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry sold in EUROPE
is a different and smaller car than those sold in the US. You need to
compare an Acura TSX - sold as the Accord in Europe - which is 2"
narrower than the US's Accord - much the same as the Passat.

Floyd

Old July 22nd 05, 03:14 AM
C. E. White

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> "C. E. White" > wrote
>> > wrote ... On a similar theme, while walking past a
>>> supermarket car park in West London (England) I observed a very angry
>>> couple gaining entry to their Mercedes M-class via the rear boot. The
>>> Merc
>>> wasn't badly parked, the cars on either side were parked just fine, but
>>> it
>>> was FAR too big for the parking spot. I shoulda taken a pic, but they
>>> really weren't happy about all the people smirking at them.

>> So would people had smirked at people driving a Honda Accord (71.5"
>> wide), Toyota Camry (70.7" wide), or VW Passat (68.7" wide)? All of the
>> vehicles are within 3.5" of the width of a Merceedes M-Class (72.4")? I
>> can't imagine the difference in width between an Accord and an M-Class
>> would have been the make or break difference in being able to get in the
>> car. And at least with the M-Class you could go in through the rear
>> hatch.

> Except, Ed, that the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry sold in EUROPE
> is a different and smaller car than those sold in the US. You need to
> compare an Acura TSX - sold as the Accord in Europe - which is 2"
> narrower than the US's Accord - much the same as the Passat.

OK, assuming the cars were properly centered as you suggested, do you think
1.8" will make much of a difference?

Your story is a cute anti-SUV piece, but like a lot of the anti-SUV tales,
it is mostly hyperbole. The most common US SUV, the Ford Explorer has about
the same footprint as a US Toyota Camry, yet based on the horror stories
people like to concoct, you would think it was the size of an ocean liner.

Ed

Old July 22nd 05, 04:33 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On 21 Jul 2005 11:46:32 -0700, "Ed White" > wrote:

>If I ran a mall or other buisness that included a private parking lot,
>I'd have a tow truck on stand-by. Illegal parkers woul dbe towed before
>they got in the fornt door.

I'd shop at your store.