'75 Speedo Drive Gear

Old July 6th 05, 04:29 PM
W. Moore

Default '75 Speedo Drive Gear

Hi all,
I have noticed fluid leaking around the speedo drive area on the tranny
(automatic). The service manual instructions are simply to remove cable;
remove retainer bolt and clamp; and remove driven gear assy. to replace "O"
ring. Trouble is that the driven assy. just doesn't "come out". After 30
years how much help can I give it with small taps without damaging the unit
? Is it keyed or splined which would mean damage from any kind of
persuasion ? My Corvette Assembly Manual doesn't show this area. Thanks.

Old July 6th 05, 05:07 PM
Tom in Missouri

I just pulled one on a '79 a month ago and it was stuck. Twist it back and
forth a few times, and pull. No tapping.

You can push in slightly with your fingers also. The O-ring sticks and
won't move, so you have to move it enough to break the seal and get a bit of
fluid under it so it slides.

When it comes loose, it will fly right out, so be ready.

Old July 6th 05, 10:58 PM
W. Moore

Tom,
Thanks for the info. When you say that it will fly right out do you mean
that there is a spring behind it or a lot of fluid that will spill all over
?

ink.net...

Old July 7th 05, 01:20 AM
Dad

Not allot of fluid, just that they always seem to pop loose and it is quick
enough to cut the back of your hand as you pull on it. You do have to get it
moving in and out, rotating it sometime only breaks the inside seal where
it's froze fast. It is a tight metal fit and it don't take much corrosion to
stick it in there good.

Dad
--
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Old July 8th 05, 09:31 PM
RicSeyler

It's not keyed.... Just wiggle around, holler and scream at it
and have someone else take a crack at it while your resting,
then switch off back and forth. :-)

Old July 9th 05, 02:06 AM
PDDeen

Screw the cable back on and use a pair of needle nose pliers between
the cable and case to persuade it to come out.
PDeen

Old July 9th 05, 09:18 PM
W. Moore

Hi again,
Many thanks to all respondents. I wrapped a piece of leather around the
speedo cable threads on the housing and with a pair of channel-locks wiggled
it until it popped out, no busted knuckles or cut hands. I called two Chevy
dealers looking for parts. One didn't have the "O" ring, or the grease seal
in the center of the housing. The second one said he had both so I jumped
in the truck and drove 30 miles to that dealer. Oops was the reply when I
arrived. He misunderstood what year model I had and that it was an
automatic tranny and not a manual tranny. I wonder if he understood
anything that I told him ! After a 60 mile round trip for nothing I called
a local speed shop who told me that the inner grease seal is common for a
range of Chevy auto. trans. models and he can have it in two days, and the
large "O" ring is a standard "on the shelf" item. I'm hoping for good luck
at that shop.

oups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 11:33 PM
RicSeyler

Some counter people need a good smack from time to time!! :-)

W. Moore wrote:

>Hi again,
>Many thanks to all respondents. I wrapped a piece of leather around the
>speedo cable threads on the housing and with a pair of channel-locks wiggled
>it until it popped out, no busted knuckles or cut hands. I called two Chevy
>dealers looking for parts. One didn't have the "O" ring, or the grease seal
>in the center of the housing. The second one said he had both so I jumped
>in the truck and drove 30 miles to that dealer. Oops was the reply when I
>arrived. He misunderstood what year model I had and that it was an
>automatic tranny and not a manual tranny. I wonder if he understood
>anything that I told him ! After a 60 mile round trip for nothing I called
>a local speed shop who told me that the inner grease seal is common for a
>range of Chevy auto. trans. models and he can have it in two days, and the
>large "O" ring is a standard "on the shelf" item. I'm hoping for good luck
>at that shop.

roups.com...

--
Ric Seyler