T-Bird With Cracked Engine Block

Old April 7th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default T-Bird With Cracked Engine Block

Hello. I have a 1991 Ford Thunderbird with a rebuilt engine and
transmission. One day as I was driving it, I noticed that as the car
was sputtering when I would hit the gas pedal. I wasnt sure what this
ment. I was just out to get gas. The sputtering was occuring before
and after i got the gas. The sputtering went on and off on my way
home. I parked the car in my driveway to let it cool down (perhaps I
overheated it). About an hour later, I wanted to take it around the
block just to make sure it was okay. When I tried to start it, there
was no crank. It sounded like metal on metal. It was very loud and I
was very worried because I thought this car had reached its end. The
next day I brought my car over to my mechanic(who is very good but
lately has dissapointed me) and he told me that the engine block had
cracked. However, NOTHING leaked from under the car in my driveway. I
had thought that when and engine block crackes, all of the oil come
out of the bottom of the car. This did not happen. Can anyone tell me
if my mechanic is right and what I should do. Also, I took a look
under the Hood and noticed no cracks.

Old April 7th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 6 Apr 2006 16:05:04 -0700, "Brendan" >
wrote:

> Hello. I have a 1991 Ford Thunderbird with a rebuilt engine and
>transmission. One day as I was driving it, I noticed that as the car
>was sputtering when I would hit the gas pedal. I wasnt sure what this
>ment. I was just out to get gas. The sputtering was occuring before
>and after i got the gas. The sputtering went on and off on my way
>home. I parked the car in my driveway to let it cool down (perhaps I
>overheated it). About an hour later, I wanted to take it around the
>block just to make sure it was okay. When I tried to start it, there
>was no crank. It sounded like metal on metal. It was very loud and I
>was very worried because I thought this car had reached its end. The
>next day I brought my car over to my mechanic(who is very good but
>lately has dissapointed me) and he told me that the engine block had
>cracked. However, NOTHING leaked from under the car in my driveway. I
>had thought that when and engine block crackes, all of the oil come
>out of the bottom of the car. This did not happen. Can anyone tell me
>if my mechanic is right and what I should do. Also, I took a look
>under the Hood and noticed no cracks.

This might be a crazy idea but who not ask the mechanic who is looking
at it where the crack is instead of a bunch of people all over the
world who can't even see it?

Steve B.
Old April 7th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Sounds like it cracked between a couple of cylinders and got water in a
cylinder.
An engine can crack in many places and it will not be visible from the
outside, most of the time even the ones that you could see you won't
since it only takes a VERY small crack to cause problems.
--
Steve Williams

oups.com...

Old April 7th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

A cracked block is usually an internal fault, and you will not normally see
any fluids
running out.

Some of those engines were prone to gasket or o-ring failures, which caused
problems
similar to what you would expect from a cracked block or head.

A family member of mine had one of these. It was repairable. Yours might
be too,
but if so, it is not necessarily cheap.