Engine coolant light

Old October 20th 04, 04:12 PM
Peter

Default Engine coolant light

Hello,
I have a Volkswagen Jetta (about 3 years old, 36k miles) and the engine
collant warning light comes on every morning (it's standing on a flat
driveway) - when I drive a couple minutes and restart the car the light is
off.
The coolant level is over the minimum level (I got it refilled) but still
the problem didn't go away.

Any ideas?
Can it be dangerous for the engine like the handbook suggests?
Thanks!
Peter

Old October 20th 04, 05:12 PM
Joseph Meehan

Peter wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a Volkswagen Jetta (about 3 years old, 36k miles) and the engine
> collant warning light comes on every morning (it's standing on a flat
> driveway) - when I drive a couple minutes and restart the car the light is
> off.
> The coolant level is over the minimum level (I got it refilled) but still
> the problem didn't go away.
>
> Any ideas?
> Can it be dangerous for the engine like the handbook suggests?
> Thanks!
> Peter

Note: the overflow tank where you normally see the low-full indication
is not the same as the radiator. You may not have the radiator full.

I don't know your Jetta that well, but if it has a radiator cap, wait
until the car is cool and carefully remove the cap. Is it full? If not fill
it. Normally if the radiator is not full it will suck coolant from the
overflow a little at each warm-cool cycle until it is full, but that does
not always seem to be the case.

I also don't know what the "coolant" light means in your car. Check
your owner's manual to make sure the light you are seeing is indicating low
coolant and not cold coolant or such.

Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan