Interchangeable parts

Old August 27th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
dorian

Default Interchangeable parts

I have a 84 Alfa gtv. There is an 84 Alfetta for sale. How much of the
mechanical parts are interchangeable? Is the engine/gearbox/prop
shaft/brakes and suspension the same? The body on the gtv is really
straight, but mechanically not very sound.

Thanks Ian

Old August 27th 06, 10:24 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
catman

dorian wrote:
> I have a 84 Alfa gtv. There is an 84 Alfetta for sale. How much of the
> mechanical parts are interchangeable? Is the engine/gearbox/prop
> shaft/brakes and suspension the same? The body on the gtv is really
> straight, but mechanically not very sound.

The answer should be 'most' of them, with minor fettling. The only one
that I think won't is the propshaft which, I *think* is shorter on the
GTV. SteveH will be along with his anorak in a minute though.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 27th 06, 11:04 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

catman > wrote:

> dorian wrote:
> > I have a 84 Alfa gtv. There is an 84 Alfetta for sale. How much of the
> > mechanical parts are interchangeable? Is the engine/gearbox/prop
> > shaft/brakes and suspension the same? The body on the gtv is really
> > straight, but mechanically not very sound.

> The answer should be 'most' of them, with minor fettling. The only one
> that I think won't is the propshaft which, I *think* is shorter on the
> GTV. SteveH will be along with his anorak in a minute though.

Heh. To be fair, my special area of knowledge is newer cars than this.

However, you're spot on. The oily bits are almost completely
interchangeable.

You'd know this 'cos your 116 is a bit of a 116 / 75 mutant, innit?
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old August 27th 06, 11:40 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
catman

SteveH wrote:
> catman > wrote:
>

>>dorian wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 84 Alfa gtv. There is an 84 Alfetta for sale. How much of the
>>>mechanical parts are interchangeable? Is the engine/gearbox/prop
>>>shaft/brakes and suspension the same? The body on the gtv is really
>>>straight, but mechanically not very sound.

>>The answer should be 'most' of them, with minor fettling. The only one
>>that I think won't is the propshaft which, I *think* is shorter on the
>>GTV. SteveH will be along with his anorak in a minute though.

> Heh. To be fair, my special area of knowledge is newer cars than this.
>
> However, you're spot on. The oily bits are almost completely
> interchangeable.
>
> You'd know this 'cos your 116 is a bit of a 116 / 75 mutant, innit?

Oh yes, but I also know that they don't all fit exactly[1]. So
'interchangeable' may well be the wrong word.

[1] Propshaft again. IIRC the 116 2l shaft is longer than the 3l one
but ISTBC

Old August 27th 06, 11:49 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

catman > wrote:

> > You'd know this 'cos your 116 is a bit of a 116 / 75 mutant, innit?

> Oh yes, but I also know that they don't all fit exactly[1]. So
> 'interchangeable' may well be the wrong word.
>
> [1] Propshaft again. IIRC the 116 2l shaft is longer than the 3l one
> but ISTBC

That'll be to do with the LSD box fitted to TSpark and V6 75s, though.

I assume you've used a 75 box in your 116, anyway.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old August 27th 06, 11:54 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
catman

SteveH wrote:
> catman > wrote:
>

>>>You'd know this 'cos your 116 is a bit of a 116 / 75 mutant, innit?

>>Oh yes, but I also know that they don't all fit exactly[1]. So
>>'interchangeable' may well be the wrong word.
>>
>>[1] Propshaft again. IIRC the 116 2l shaft is longer than the 3l one
>>but ISTBC

> That'll be to do with the LSD box fitted to TSpark and V6 75s, though.
>
> I assume you've used a 75 box in your 116, anyway.

On balance we decided that having a spanky LSD 3l box and transaxle
kicking around made it worth while using it Although I fancied
having 4 stud wheels at the back and 5 at the front.

Of *course* we used it, you plonker

Old August 27th 06, 11:56 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

catman > wrote:

> > That'll be to do with the LSD box fitted to TSpark and V6 75s, though.
> >
> > I assume you've used a 75 box in your 116, anyway.

> On balance we decided that having a spanky LSD 3l box and transaxle
> kicking around made it worth while using it Although I fancied
> having 4 stud wheels at the back and 5 at the front.
>
> Of *course* we used it, you plonker

Heh, I wasn't to know that you didn't want to do 0-60 in 5 seconds, was
I? ;-)
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old August 27th 06, 12:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
catman

SteveH wrote:
> catman > wrote:
>

>>>That'll be to do with the LSD box fitted to TSpark and V6 75s, though.
>>>
>>>I assume you've used a 75 box in your 116, anyway.

>>On balance we decided that having a spanky LSD 3l box and transaxle
>>kicking around made it worth while using it Although I fancied
>>having 4 stud wheels at the back and 5 at the front.
>>
>>Of *course* we used it, you plonker

> Heh, I wasn't to know that you didn't want to do 0-60 in 5 seconds, was
> I? ;-)

Cmon, You know I haven't got the bottle to do that Anyway, the 116
has the original tank. You'd do 0-60 in 5s then walk to the next fuel
station

Old August 27th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
George Graves

In article >,
catman > wrote:

> dorian wrote:
> > I have a 84 Alfa gtv. There is an 84 Alfetta for sale. How much of the
> > mechanical parts are interchangeable? Is the engine/gearbox/prop
> > shaft/brakes and suspension the same? The body on the gtv is really
> > straight, but mechanically not very sound.

> The answer should be 'most' of them, with minor fettling. The only one
> that I think won't is the propshaft which, I *think* is shorter on the
> GTV. SteveH will be along with his anorak in a minute though.

By Alfetta do you mean the sedan? Here in the US the sedan was not sold.
What I know as an Alfetta is the 2+2 sports coupe that has the same body
as a GTV-6 except that it has a flat bonnet (no bulge or "tea-tray") and
a 4-cylinder engine.

--
George Graves
The health of our society is a direct result of the men
Old August 27th 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

George Graves > wrote:

> In article >,
> catman > wrote:
>
> > dorian wrote:
> > > I have a 84 Alfa gtv. There is an 84 Alfetta for sale. How much of the
> > > mechanical parts are interchangeable? Is the engine/gearbox/prop
> > > shaft/brakes and suspension the same? The body on the gtv is really
> > > straight, but mechanically not very sound.

> > The answer should be 'most' of them, with minor fettling. The only one
> > that I think won't is the propshaft which, I *think* is shorter on the
> > GTV. SteveH will be along with his anorak in a minute though.

> By Alfetta do you mean the sedan? Here in the US the sedan was not sold.
> What I know as an Alfetta is the 2+2 sports coupe that has the same body
> as a GTV-6 except that it has a flat bonnet (no bulge or "tea-tray") and
> a 4-cylinder engine.

Alfetta was a 4 door saloon, GTV was a 4-pot coupe, what you describe as
a GTV was a GTV6.

Technically, a GTV is an Alfetta GTV, to differenciate it from the older
Bertone GTV.

The 'V' is commonly mistaken for designating a V6 lump, however it
actually designates 'veloce'.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL

AWA [DEMAND] hydraulic parts [email protected] General 0 April 19th 06 08:52 PM
AWA [OFFER] parts of excavator [email protected] General 0 March 31st 06 12:52 PM
Repair Fraud? basva Technology 65 October 9th 05 11:26 PM
F.S. RUST FREE 80's BLAZER,PICKUP PARTS, in NH, ME (Military) MilitaryTruckParts 4x4 2 March 27th 04 06:49 PM