tank mate

Old July 1st 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Default tank mate

hi there. have just discovered this group so this is my first post.
i have a 2 foot tank with a fully grown red tail shark in it. i had to
take it out of my community tank as it was constantly pestering my
other fish.
now the shark is alone and it just hides in a pot in the tank. i know
that red tail sharks are quarelsome and my local fish shop said that
there are no suitable fish that i could put in with the shark. i do
find that hard to believe.i really would like another fish to bring
the shark out of hiding and thus giving it a better life.
any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.
Old July 1st 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Gail Futoran

"insert name here" wrote in message
hi there. have just discovered this group so this is my first post.
i have a 2 foot tank with a fully grown red tail shark in it. i had
take it out of my community tank as it was constantly pestering my
other fish.
now the shark is alone and it just hides in a pot in the tank. i
know
that red tail sharks are quarelsome and my local fish shop said that
there are no suitable fish that i could put in with the shark. i do
find that hard to believe.i really would like another fish to bring
the shark out of hiding and thus giving it a better life.
any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

I did some research online and found several recommendations. You
might look at the following links:
http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm
check out the forum comments below the fish description
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_bicolor.php
again, see the forum comments for other people's experiences

The consensus seems to be bigger, equally aggressive fish. Your
problem might be tank size. You should consider the mature size of
any fish you add.

Those are beautiful fish, btw. I tend to keep smaller, blander fish
which I enjoy but I can appreciate the attraction of the more brightly
colored fish.

Gail

Old July 7th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 15:46:55 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"insert name here" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

thank you gail for your info. really appreciate it. i have checked out
the links and see exactly what you are saying...
i kinda inherited this fish and i have to admit that i would never get
another one but i am trying to provide a good life for this one.
since i posted this question, i have put in a fairly mature bristle
nosed catfish and it has really brought the shark out but it is still
shy of me if i get too close to the tank but i am glad that it spends
more time out than hiding in its pot.
once again, thanks gail....
Old April 28th 11, 08:11 PM
arlenpalmer arlenpalmer is offline
Junior Member

I think we should completely colorful discus aquarium fish mainly for feeding, because other species generally do not need the dedication and the environment, the needs of discus. Set, plants, and other residents the best conditions should be carefully selected so that the primary task of discus fish. Discus is a calm, timid fish who like to keep in small groups five to eight fish, like the other side of the fish they need a school safety. This also helps reduce the domestication of the new environmental pressures. Other discus, tank you choose teammates once again totally dependent on external purposes.

5 gallon tank mate suggestions Deb Ambler General 3 December 5th 06 10:43 PM
Tank Mate for a Crayfish Celtic Wanderer General 9 January 11th 06 02:35 AM
tank mate(s) in a 6g??? Larry General 2 January 7th 06 11:51 PM
tank mate for gar? hugh jass General 6 July 23rd 04 01:09 AM
tank mate question Janette General 0 December 17th 03 09:27 PM