stupid question

Old June 13th 04, 05:23 PM
R.Reppy

Default stupid question

I'm really embarassed to have to ask this, 'cause it's gonna make me look
like such a dumb**** when it comes to cars. But here goes...
Anybody know where the air filter is in a dodge van? I can't find it
under the hood, and know it must need changing by now. I'd appreciate some
guidance (preferrably without too much laughter).... R.

Old June 13th 04, 07:29 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:23:47 -0400, R.Reppy wrote:

> I'm really embarassed to have to ask this, 'cause it's gonna make me look
> like such a dumb**** when it comes to cars. But here goes...
> Anybody know where the air filter is in a dodge van? I can't find it
> under the hood, and know it must need changing by now. I'd appreciate some
> guidance (preferrably without too much laughter).... R.

Depends. What engine?

Regardless, it's normally near the top. If you see a big plastic "hose"
going from the front to the rear, it's at the rear end of that hose
(probably). Not sure about turbo setups. If you have a more recent
[mini]van, it'll be in a rectangularish plastic housing close to the
firewall. The 4-cylinder engine has a broad, shallow housing with three
plastic screws on top (each screw has a 1/4-inch square hole -- get your
ratchet wrench). On the 6-cylinder 3.0L, its a deeper, but narrower, box
with a rubber hose going to the big aluminum thing (intake plenum) on top
of the engine. On the 3.3 L, if memory serves, it's on the driver's side,
beside the wheelwell, also a rectangularish box.

On a "true" van, dunno, I've never seen their engines, but look for a
rectangularish box with a big (as in around 3 inch diameter or so) rubber
or plastic "hose" going from some big plastic box toward the front of the
vehicle on newer models, or, on older ones look for a big circular pan on
top of the engine with a little wingnut on top.

AFAIK, IIRC, YMMV, HIH, and TTYL

CJ
--
THIS POST ORIGINATED FROM USENET, *NOT* ANY WEB-BASED FORUM! IF YOU ARE READING
IT FROM A WEB BROWSER SUCH AS INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE, THEN YOU ARE NOT

Old June 13th 04, 07:29 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old June 14th 04, 05:23 PM
Tony H

"R.Reppy" > wrote in message
> I'm really embarassed to have to ask this, 'cause it's gonna make me look
> like such a dumb**** when it comes to cars. But here goes...
> Anybody know where the air filter is in a dodge van? I can't find it
> under the hood, and know it must need changing by now. I'd appreciate some
> guidance (preferrably without too much laughter).... R.

On my Caravan, it is located on the driver's side front. You must remove
the house and some housing stuff to get to it. It takes about a half hour
for us slow people to change the air filter (includes bathroom breaks, and
cussing because you can't find your 5/16" driver).

My van is in the shop for its 100K go through. They are replacing it for
$12, which I find reasonable since that means they will get dirty and have
to cuss at it instead of me.

Good Luck!

Old June 14th 04, 05:23 PM
Tony H

Old June 14th 04, 09:39 PM
mikwe

If it is a Dodge Ram Van full size with a 318, you need to take the engine
cowling off inside the van, and it is right there. The old fashioned round
type with a pre-filter so you only replace it every 25k or so, I still
replace mine every 12000 or so.

Old June 14th 04, 09:39 PM
mikwe

Door Hinge Damage Question Class 1 BMW 4 January 9th 05 06:57 PM
Bmw Phone Question Jason BMW 1 December 2nd 04 12:49 AM
Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 05:45 PM
E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
Radio question bose yar Corvette 2 October 16th 04 11:09 AM