Merge impaired slowpokes

Old December 31st 04, 03:33 AM
Anthony Giorgianni

Floyd

Whether posted speed limits have anything to do with safety has nothing to
do with the issue. The question is whether it's okay for drivers to
interfere with speeders if they don't agree with speeding and whether it's
okay for drivers to interfere with others who do other things they don't
like, such as slow lane merging. I say not okay. And I don't think you can
say yes for one but no for the other, especially if you are saying no for
speeding when speeding, unlike slow lane merging, is illegal, whether you
agree with the speed laws or not. That's all.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Old December 31st 04, 04:03 AM
Anthony Giorgianni

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
> > I'm not arguing whether speeding is bad or sloth merging is bad. I'm

just
> > raising the issue of whether we can take it upon ourselves to somehow

interfere with
> > driving behavior we don't agree with, no matter what it is.

> It's a social issue. And like any other can be corrected with proper
> social pressures. How do you know not to fart in elevator? or not to
> shout in a movie theater? Or all sorts of other things?

That's true, Brent, and perhaps appropriate for those examples. But creating
a potentially dangerous situation, as it looks like the OP did, is
irresponsbile. And certainly, if you try to discourage a poor driver by
putting yourself in a precarious situation and they come back at you or you
get into an accident, don't complain about it. I mean, the guy may very well
want to teach you that your efforts to correct his driving are unwelcomed,
and you may both end up going up in a giant fireball of glory.

Also, speeding is a social issue tool. And there are many people who do not
approve of it. But to suggest that they it's okay for them to exert social
pressure - such as blocking maneuvers - to correct speeders' behavior is, I
think you'd agree, irresponsible, just as it is for other kinds of driving
behavior. It's also important to keep in mind that your idea of what's bad
driving and another's driver's idea may not be the same.

Using your car to exert social pressure is rarely a good idea, even when you
are in the right. On the other hand, if traffic is stopped and some guy
tries to cut in after passing everyone on the shoulder, I don't think you
need to accommodate him. But that kind of thing is not setting up a
dangerous situation like the OP did - unless of course the guy decides to
ram or shoot you. :O)

I suspect a lot of this has less to do with trying to let the other guy know
he did something wrong and more to do with a display of manhood - not
letting the other guy get away with doing you wrong. Women don't seem to get
into these conflcits. It's msot men, who end up battling over who has the
higher spot in the pecking order. There's a real problem I think associating
driving with power and manhood and all of that. Car makers don't help with
their silly zoom-zoom commercials either.

And finally, I think we should remember that people make mistakes while
driving. I don't think it's good to assume they don't know what they are
doing and need a lesson Sometimes it's just nice to let the other guy off
the hook. Looking at it that way can certainly save wear and tear on on your
nerves.

Old December 31st 04, 04:03 AM
Anthony Giorgianni

Old December 31st 04, 04:11 AM
Arif Khokar

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:

> Whether posted speed limits have anything to do with safety has nothing to
> do with the issue. The question is whether it's okay for drivers to
> interfere with speeders if they don't agree with speeding and whether it's
> okay for drivers to interfere with others who do other things they don't
> like, such as slow lane merging.

The real question is which of the two behaviors disrupt traffic. A
driver exceeding the speed limit and keeping right except to pass does
not disrupt traffic. A sloth merger who forces his way into traffic
while going 25 to 40 mph slower than them disrupts traffic.
Old December 31st 04, 04:11 AM
Arif Khokar

Old December 31st 04, 04:20 AM
Brent P

In article >, Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
>> It's a social issue. And like any other can be corrected with proper
>> social pressures. How do you know not to fart in elevator? or not to
>> shout in a movie theater? Or all sorts of other things?

> That's true, Brent, and perhaps appropriate for those examples. But creating
> a potentially dangerous situation, as it looks like the OP did, is
> irresponsbile. And certainly, if you try to discourage a poor driver by
> putting yourself in a precarious situation and they come back at you or you
> get into an accident, don't complain about it. I mean, the guy may very well
> want to teach you that your efforts to correct his driving are unwelcomed,
> and you may both end up going up in a giant fireball of glory.

I haven't seen anything dangerous being advocated. It's often MORE
dangerous to let a MFFY driver in than not to. I have a smashed car right
now as proof to that. I was in one of those situations where I could not
accelerate to thwart the MFFY driver. Two of them then combined and now
the torqueless wonder is smashed. I did exactly as my critics would have
me do, I slowed down and let the other driver do as he wanted. I should
have held course and speed.

> Also, speeding is a social issue tool. And there are many people who do not
> approve of it. But to suggest that they it's okay for them to exert social
> pressure - such as blocking maneuvers - to correct speeders' behavior is, I
> think you'd agree, irresponsible, just as it is for other kinds of driving
> behavior. It's also important to keep in mind that your idea of what's bad
> driving and another's driver's idea may not be the same.

Ahem. Here you go mixing apples with ornages again. Right of way issues
with right of way issues. The sloth merger and the LLB are both in the
wrong as right of way issues.

> And finally, I think we should remember that people make mistakes while
> driving. I don't think it's good to assume they don't know what they are
> doing and need a lesson Sometimes it's just nice to let the other guy off
> the hook. Looking at it that way can certainly save wear and tear on on your
> nerves.

This tired old crap again. When someone runs a red light and flips you
the bird with BOTH hands, it's not a mistake.

Old December 31st 04, 04:20 AM
Brent P