'99 Intrepid trunk release problem

Old July 23rd 05, 10:32 PM
Randy

Default '99 Intrepid trunk release problem

I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging
problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the
car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob.
I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK.
I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to
it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve
power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone
have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that
there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.

Old July 23rd 05, 10:54 PM
maxpower

"Randy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging
> problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the
> car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob.
> I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK.
> I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to
> it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve
> power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone
> have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that
> there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.

Tan/black wire 10 volts or more, black wire ground, I believe the other is
for a security alarm. if you have those and the acuator doesnt work, replace
the acuator assembly.
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 23rd 05, 11:27 PM
Randy

The solid black wire is a ground and I do get 12 volts on the tan/black
wire. The 12 volts is always there...... when the trunk release button
is or is not pushed.
Should the third wire not be energized when the trunk release button is
pushed???
Does the ignition have to be on to opent he trunk? I assume that the
transmission has to be in Park prior to opening the trunk but I'm
wandering if there is some other special configuration in order for the
trunk release to work!

Old July 23rd 05, 11:28 PM
Bill Putney

Randy wrote:
> I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging
> problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the
> car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob.
> I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK.
> I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to
> it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve
> power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone
> have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that
> there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.

The dash switch sends a signal to the BCM.

BK/WT wire going to the solenoid is the wire straight from the BCM to
actuate the solenoid. It is one of the outside wires on the connector.
It should light up when the dash button is pushed.

Since you say the BK/WT wire does not get power when you push the remote
or dash button, then either the BCM is not putting out voltage to that
wire, or there is a break in the connection from the BCM or in that
BK/WT wire.

The BK wire - the other outside wire - is the ground for the solenoid coil.

See if you get some reasonable coil resistance reading across the two
terminals on the solenoid.

Based on what you posted (no voltage on either outside wire when button
pushed), it sounds like the problem is not the solenoid.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 23rd 05, 11:32 PM
Bill Putney

Randy wrote:

> The solid black wire is a ground and I do get 12 volts on the tan/black
> wire. The 12 volts is always there...... when the trunk release button
> is or is not pushed.
> Should the third wire not be energized when the trunk release button is
> pushed???
> Does the ignition have to be on to opent he trunk? I assume that the
> transmission has to be in Park prior to opening the trunk but I'm
> wandering if there is some other special configuration in order for the
> trunk release to work!

Igntion can be on or off for trunk lid solenoid to work. Must be in
park (or neutral will also work I think - but Park, definitely).

Middle wire is the ajar signal - don't worry about that. The BK/WT wire
is the solenoid voltage signal from the BCM to the solenoid - and from
what you posted previously, appears to be the problem - see my opther post).

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 24th 05, 12:11 AM
Randy

While waiting on a reply I put 12 volts to the third "mysterious" wire
terminal on the trunk release. When I did this the latch opens fine.
This leads me to believe that the problem is somewhere else. When I
push the trunk release button I have to be able to energize that third
terminal. ................. any ideas on where the problem may be?

Old July 24th 05, 12:39 AM
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Randy wrote:
> > I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging
> > problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the
> > car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob.
> > I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK.
> > I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to
> > it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve
> > power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone
> > have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that
> > there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.
> >

> The dash switch sends a signal to the BCM.
>
> BK/WT wire going to the solenoid is the wire straight from the BCM to
> actuate the solenoid. It is one of the outside wires on the connector.
> It should light up when the dash button is pushed.
>
> Since you say the BK/WT wire does not get power when you push the remote
> or dash button, then either the BCM is not putting out voltage to that
> wire, or there is a break in the connection from the BCM or in that
> BK/WT wire.
>
> The BK wire - the other outside wire - is the ground for the solenoid

coil.

> See if you get some reasonable coil resistance reading across the two
> terminals on the solenoid.
>
> Based on what you posted (no voltage on either outside wire when button
> pushed), it sounds like the problem is not the solenoid.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

Your right Bill.

Old July 24th 05, 12:45 AM
maxpower

let me know if you got my e mail Randy
oups.com...

Old July 24th 05, 12:59 AM
Bill Putney

Randy wrote:
> While waiting on a reply I put 12 volts to the third "mysterious" wire
> terminal on the trunk release. When I did this the latch opens fine.
> This leads me to believe that the problem is somewhere else. When I
> push the trunk release button I have to be able to energize that third
> terminal. ................. any ideas on where the problem may be?

Yes - exactly as I told you from what you already had posted - the
problem is *not* in the solenoid. The signal is either not coming out
of the BCM or their is a break in the connection between the BCM output
and the solenoid connector.

Did you get the part that I said that the signal should be sent if the
tranny is in nuetral with or without the ignition on?

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 24th 05, 01:12 AM
Randy

I got 18.3 Ohms resistance across the solenoid terminals. I suppose my
next step is to try and find a broken wire somewhere???????