My first planted freshwater aquarium

Old August 23rd 10, 04:00 AM
sundance2010 sundance2010 is offline
Junior Member

Default My first planted freshwater aquarium

I am about to try my had at a freshwater planted aquarium (55G) and have a few (to say the least) questions.

First is there a good guide somewhere to put me on the right path?

On Bio-active substrate, does it have an expiration date? My local petco has a clearance on $20 bags of Activ-Flora, they are going for $5 each and I want to make sure I am not buying something that is of no value for my aquarium.

Thanks, and hi to all.

Steve
Old August 25th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Nitesbane

"sundance2010" wrote in message

I am about to try my had at a freshwater planted aquarium (55G) and have
a few (to say the least) questions.

First is there a good guide somewhere to put me on the right path?

On Bio-active substrate, does it have an expiration date? My local petco
has a clearance on $20 bags of Activ-Flora, they are going for $5 each
and I want to make sure I am not buying something that is of no value
for my aquarium.

In my experience, you shold not believe the claims on anything that says it
is "bio active" or cycles your tank "instantly". Read a few reviews on the
product first. Here's two from the same board I found with a quick search:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...7viptA&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...-4hpoA&cad=rja

Freshwater plants will grow in virtually any substrate from sand to gravel
to nothing but bare glass (depending on the plant of course). Pick a
substrate that you enjoy looking at, and that isn't difficult to work with.
Sand, for instance, tends to be very messy when replanting things but gives
a beautiful natural look. I am a big fan of the old Eco-Complete, because
of the way it looks and I enjoy the way it settles "naturally" in the tank.
It hasn't helped my plants grow any better than the tanks I have with plain
gravel, and it did not help cycle my tanks at all.

Regardless, the first place you want to start with a planted aquarium is
lighting. This is the biggest factor to consider when starting out. What
kind of lights do you have and how many watts are they putting out? A "low
light" tank has 1-2 "watts per gallon" of lighting. "High" light tanks have
around 4+. You're going to want to plant according to your light intensity,
and then to your water quality. Just like a "regular" garden, some plants
simply won't grow in the "shade" while others (like crypts) will thrive in
it.

Hope that helps,
-N

Old August 28th 10, 06:27 PM
sundance2010 sundance2010 is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the review links.
Old August 31st 10, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Michael Grossman

On 2010-08-25, Nitesbane wrote:

[...]

Why are Nitesbane's posts appearing twice?

Old August 31st 10, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Michael Grossman

On 2010-08-28, sundance2010 wrote:

Thanks for the review links.

I highly recommend fluorite for growing cryptocoryne, amazon swords, and
various anubias species. You'll never have to worry about running out
of iron with this gravel.

I am not so sure about lighting. I think diode lighting is on the
horizon, but I do not have any experience with this equipment.

I have used a mix of actinic and Walmart "Plant & Aquarium" fluorescent
bulbs in 48" shop lights to grow the plants mentioned above. I'd
appreciate some info on halogen lamps, T5, diodes, and CO2 injection.

Old March 11th 11, 09:19 PM
lenitaray lenitaray is offline
Junior Member

Freshwater plants will grow in almost any substrate, but gravel from the sand bare glass (depending on plant, of course.) Choose a substrate, you like to see, this is not difficult to work with. Sand, for example, tends to be very messy thing, but when replanting gives a beautiful natural beauty. I am a big fan of the old ecological integrity, because the way it looks, the way I like to quell the "natural"in the tank.
Old April 15th 11, 07:56 PM
pitterritz pitterritz is offline
Junior Member

Freshwater plants will abound in around any substrate from beach to gravel to annihilation but bald bottle (depending on the bulb of course). Pick a substrate that you adore searching at, and that isn't difficult to plan with. Sand, for instance, tends to be actual blowzy if replanting things but gives a admirable accustomed look.