Electrical gremlins

Old March 5th 05, 03:56 AM
Big Country

Default Electrical gremlins

Hi folks
You guys did such a good job with my last dilemma I've another. My lights
flash on and off occasionally, my horn works when it wants and it hasn't
wanted in weeks on my 94 wrangler. replaced relays, fuses; tracked wires all
over. I remember having the same headlight problem with a 93 I had awhile
back that I never figured it out. I've deduced from all of this that this
era must have bad wiring. Anybody else have these problems?
--
Big country
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4

Old March 5th 05, 04:43 AM
RoyJ

First place is to look for a bad ground. Start with the big ground cable
between the negative battery terminal and the block. Crank the starter
and see if either end gets hot, sure sign it is toast. Next check all
the various smaller ground straps, especially the one(s) from the enigne
to the body.

Old March 5th 05, 03:16 PM
Mike Romain

Horn and headlights have a common ground connected by a wire mesh cable
from the rear of the head to the firewall. When this goes bad, the body
can steal grounds, but sometimes it can't get enough so things
intermittently don't work.

Or two separate issues. The headlights have a breaker in the switch
that wears out especially if someone put halogen or high powered bulbs
in without adding a relay. This causes the light to flick on and off.
Usually the light switch itself gets physically hot when this happens,
so a quick fee with your hand can spot it.

And horns sometimes just have attitudes....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 6th 05, 08:30 PM
Big Country