Strange ongoing humming tone from 94 Accord

Old January 27th 05, 01:13 AM
Abeness

> The problem with this explanation is that the tone occurs regardless of
> the key being in or not - i.e. regardless of the fuel pump being on.
> Also, the noise is too consistent (as in, it's a tone of a particular
> pitch) - think "Meep meep" horn being held down, but not as loud as a
> regular horn. Also, the regular horn itself is unrelated to this noise,
> and functions properly. The tone started blowing again on the way to
> work - currently the battery is disconnected.
>
> Any ideas, folks?

My vote is for a very light short in the horn that's causing it to hum
under very low current. Try pulling the horn fuse and see. How did you
decide that it wasn't the horn?
Old January 27th 05, 01:27 AM

Abeness,

That's something I'll look into. The only reason I decided it wasn't
the horn was because the horn seems to blow perfectly well, and it's an
entirely different pitch. (Higher pitched). I'm may just take it into a
shop tomorrow, my patience and time are at a premium, especially in
this weather.

Pravin

Old January 27th 05, 02:19 AM

Tegger,

With all due respect, how do you figure that it's been poorly
maintained, because of what could be a horn short?

FWIW, the rest of the car works great - super smooth engine, 5-speed
tranny shifts beautifully with a smooth clutch, steering feels tight,
brakes have plenty of pad left, and timing belt was just done. Just
curious.

Pravin

Old January 27th 05, 02:23 AM

HAHA -- I guess the flatulence-phenomena may hold true, but the tone is
definitely electrical, as it can be turned off and on by
disconnecting/connecting the battery.

Pravin

Old January 27th 05, 03:33 AM
Graham W

> HAHA -- I guess the flatulence-phenomena may hold true, but the tone
> is definitely electrical, as it can be turned off and on by
> disconnecting/connecting the battery.

Well, that is the first mention you have of that fact!

--
Graham W
http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial
Old January 27th 05, 03:57 AM

My apologies for not having been clearer. Yeah, it's definitely
electrical.

Old January 30th 05, 06:52 AM
R. P.

> I recently bought a 1994 Honda Accord LX, with 195,000 miles. As I was
> walking out to my car this morning, I heard a strange ongoing
> high-pitched tone, which could best be described as a more faint
> version of the horn. I panicked, thinking that the horn switch somehow
> froze in place (I'm in Boston) and drained the battery overnight, and
> sounded faint because it was on its last legs.

Hm, interesting coincidence: my '94 Accord LX also has 195 K miles in
it. however I experienced no such problems as you described. Is yours
assembled in Japan or here in the US?

Rudy

Old January 30th 05, 07:36 PM

It's assembled in USA, but I'm not sure how much it would make a
difference in a bad horn. What is the condition of your 94, Rudy? What
do you think the next thing will be that requires replacement?