Battery failure on E34

Old January 23rd 05, 02:28 AM
JimV

Default Battery failure on E34

wrote:
> I've had an E34 520 for about a year. I use it about twice a week to
> drive 100 miles.
>
> I had last used in on Sunday (only a short journey, about 10 miles) and
> then when I started it on Thursday the car turned over a little slower
> then usual (it normally starts really easily) but this time I could hear
> it was struggling to turn over the battery.
>
> When I used it again on Friday it started fine.
>
> I tried it again today (after it had been standing for about 15 hours)
> and it didn't have enough power to spin the engine much at all. About
> enough to turn it over for five seconds before it died.
>
> Since it was fine on Friday (on that 100 mile journey I stopped twice,
> it started fine both times) I'm guessing it's more likely a battery than
> a charging problem. I suppose it could be something's drawing more idle
> current than it should though.
>
> I thought I'd check what current it drawed with the ignition off before
> I replace the battery (sixty uk pounds!), anyone got any ideas what sort
> of figure I should be looking at? I'm guessing a few milliamps.
>
> The alarm (BMW fit) is switched off if it makes any difference.
>
> All advice gratefully received!

ABout 60MA would be normal. How old is the battery? If more than 3 yrs,
I'd replace it regardless.
Old January 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
bfd

"JimV" > wrote in message
>> I've had an E34 520 for about a year. I use it about twice a week to
>> drive 100 miles.
>>
>> I had last used in on Sunday (only a short journey, about 10 miles) and
>> then when I started it on Thursday the car turned over a little slower
>> then usual (it normally starts really easily) but this time I could hear
>> it was struggling to turn over the battery.
>>
>> When I used it again on Friday it started fine. I tried it again today
>> (after it had been standing for about 15 hours)
>> and it didn't have enough power to spin the engine much at all. About
>> enough to turn it over for five seconds before it died.
>>
>> Since it was fine on Friday (on that 100 mile journey I stopped twice,
>> it started fine both times) I'm guessing it's more likely a battery than
>> a charging problem. I suppose it could be something's drawing more idle
>> current than it should though.
>>
>> I thought I'd check what current it drawed with the ignition off before
>> I replace the battery (sixty uk pounds!), anyone got any ideas what sort
>> of figure I should be looking at? I'm guessing a few milliamps.
>>
>> The alarm (BMW fit) is switched off if it makes any difference.
>>
>> All advice gratefully received!

> ABout 60MA would be normal. How old is the battery? If more than 3 yrs,
> I'd replace it regardless.

Agree, I would replace it too. Is the battery in your 520 in the engine
compartment or under the rear seat? I ask because I have a 535i with the
battery under the rear seat and my last battery, a, plug, Sears Diehard,
lasted 9 years. I recently replaced it with one from Kragen (Checkers in
some parts of the country) and we will see how long that one last....

Old January 23rd 05, 05:29 AM
F Fletch

Those bloody batteries!

And for 60 Pounds Sterling! Those *******s!

Yeah, UK. Replace the battery, and clean all the start system
electrical connections as insurance.

Usually, a worn starter spins slow all the time (worn brushes.) But a
bad battery is sometimes strong, and then weak, depending on the recent
recharge. I nursed and recharged a BMW battery for months, and then
noticed one cell wasn't reacting to the recharge, not bubbling a bit.
Time for a new battery.

Best wishes,
Chevy Chase

Old January 23rd 05, 09:16 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
JimV > wrote:
> How old is the battery? If more than 3 yrs,
> I'd replace it regardless.

A decent battery place should have an electronic tester which will give
chapter and verse on the battery state.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 23rd 05, 12:31 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> The battery's dated 1999 so it's about 6 years old. Might be time to
> replace it I suppose.

It certainly doesn't owe you anything. I'm pleased to get 4 years out of
one.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Old January 24th 05, 12:09 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> >It certainly doesn't owe you anything. I'm pleased to get 4 years out of
> >one.

> Whilst I don't deny that, any excuse to avoid spending money is always
> welcome...

You're telling this to an Aberdonian? ;-)

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 06:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM