Filling up my gas tank

Old January 17th 05, 09:19 PM
Papa

Default Filling up my gas tank

I recently purchased a 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible. Even though it is an
old car, I like it. However, some things about it are peculiar (aren't we
all !). For example, the gasoline will gush out all over the ground if I use
one of those gas station pumps with the newly designed stubby nozzle and
rubber seal that is an EPA gadget intended for protecting the atmosphere
from the fumes. This spillage happens even though the nozzle is inserted.

On the other hand, if I go to a gas station that still uses the older (and
longer) nozzles, there is no spillage.

Is there a solution to this problem, other than seeking out stations that
still use the old-style nozzles? Thanks.

Old January 18th 05, 01:37 AM
Joseph Meehan

Papa wrote:
> I recently purchased a 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible. Even though it
> is an old car, I like it. However, some things about it are peculiar
> (aren't we all !). For example, the gasoline will gush out all over
> the ground if I use one of those gas station pumps with the newly
> designed stubby nozzle and rubber seal that is an EPA gadget intended
> for protecting the atmosphere from the fumes. This spillage happens
> even though the nozzle is inserted.
> On the other hand, if I go to a gas station that still uses the older
> (and longer) nozzles, there is no spillage.
>
> Is there a solution to this problem, other than seeking out stations
> that still use the old-style nozzles? Thanks.

You do want to make sure all the hoses and vents and the charcoal
filters are in good shape. Many of these problems seem to be caused by
kinked, or blocked hoses or a clogged filter.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 18th 05, 02:18 AM
Nathan Lucas

my brand new transit does that! if you listen carefully when you're filling
it, you can hear when the tank is nearly full, and stop filling it

Old January 18th 05, 03:05 AM
Papa

But I'm talking about when I first start trying to pump the fuel. It gushes
immediately, so that it is impossible to put any fuel in the tank unless I
use the old style nozzle that I mentioned.

Old January 18th 05, 04:51 AM
Randolph

Many cars have a small spring loaded flap in the gas filler neck, the
nozzle pushes this flap open when you are filling gas. Does your car
have a flap that sits so far down that the new style nozzle does not
push it open?

Old January 18th 05, 05:46 AM
Matt B.

"Papa" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> But I'm talking about when I first start trying to pump the fuel. It
> gushes immediately, so that it is impossible to put any fuel in the tank
> unless I use the old style nozzle that I mentioned.

Inside the fuel opening is a small "button" (for lack of a better word). On
my '91 GTI when I press it I get a "whoosh!" sound as if I'm sort of burping
the fuel tank...somehow it relieves some pressure. Try pressing that button
on your car (assuming it has one) and see if it burps the tank.

Old January 18th 05, 12:41 PM
Joseph Meehan

Randolph wrote:
> Many cars have a small spring loaded flap in the gas filler neck, the
> nozzle pushes this flap open when you are filling gas. Does your car
> have a flap that sits so far down that the new style nozzle does not
> push it open?

I think you hit it. Funny just as I was reading the same message you
replied to, I thought of the same thing. I wonder if something like a chop
stick might work to hold the flap open? Maybe just remove it. I use to
know why it was put there, but at the moment I can't remember.

Old January 18th 05, 01:52 PM
Papa

Thanks Everyone. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Old January 19th 05, 03:30 PM
Brian Running

> I recently purchased a 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible. Even though it is an
> old car, I like it. However, some things about it are peculiar (aren't we
> all !). For example, the gasoline will gush out all over the ground if I

use
> one of those gas station pumps with the newly designed stubby nozzle and
> rubber seal that is an EPA gadget intended for protecting the atmosphere
> from the fumes. This spillage happens even though the nozzle is inserted.
>
> On the other hand, if I go to a gas station that still uses the older (and
> longer) nozzles, there is no spillage.

Some of those vapor-recovery hoods on gas nozzles prevent you from getting
the nozzle deep enough into the filler tube to push that little flap
aside -- you have to push the nozzle in very firmly, lean on it hard, to get
the nozzle past the flap. I've had the same thing you described happen to
me.