Replacing Horn 96 Saturn (Wiring and Access)

Old September 6th 04, 05:47 AM
Clive Hayward

Default Replacing Horn 96 Saturn (Wiring and Access)

The horn on my 96 Saturn stopped work. As a replacement I purchased a
FIAMM Freeway blaster. The Saturn connector has three wires and the
replacement horn two wires. Will this part work or do I need a horn
with the Saturn connector? Can the two black wires be crimped
together?

I was able to remove the defective horn from below after removing the
plastic air defector that is attached to the bumper. Attaching the
new horn from below seems to be impossible without more room to play
with. What is the best way to access the horn area?

Thanks
Old September 6th 04, 04:44 PM
Oppie

Do you know what the 3 wires on the connector are? Most horns are grounded
to chassis and have only one terminal. The terminal goes to the horn relay
which switches 12V. With these cars now being largely plastic, I am seeing
more circuits that include a ground connection rather than relying on a
chassis ground. Also, with all the computer diagnostics, there is often a
3rd sense wire that goes back to the computer to read whether the circuit
was completed. Just understand what the original circuit was doing before
you change things.

_________________
m...

Old September 6th 04, 11:00 PM
Kevin M. Keller

> Do you know what the 3 wires on the connector are?

ground, 12v high, 12v low

the relay in the 96+ s-series is built into the horn - in '91-'95 cars, it
is in the fuse block. so one wire is the gound, 2nd wire is the 12v
constant, and the 2rd wier is the 12v signal when you hit the button.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com