Performance

Old September 8th 04, 04:23 AM
Lee3333

Default Performance

Any comments on either the electronic superchargers being advertised on the
net or the resistor that tricks the car into thinking it is colder outside?

Old September 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Jonnie Santos

Both don't seem to pan out if I remember my threads... SAPS used to have an
article on free horsepower you might wander over and check out,
www.spswebpage.com

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 8th 04, 12:27 PM
Jeremiah

The electric supercharger seems like a good idea right? free hourse power,
not drag from a pully, and no lag from exhaust, not so much, from what i've
read. They seem to be really non-efficiant and wast alot of energy. and to
me, controlling the boost seems a little tricky, i'm no sure how it's all
setup. There are belt driven superchargers and turbo chargers online for the
S-series, and new ION (2.2L) i'm sur ethere are for the L, but it's a tight
fit under the hood.
As for the resistor, they are junk dont' wast your money on it, your money
would be better spent on cold air kit. the resistor wil make your car run
like crap, run rich too, not worth it.

hope that helps

Old September 8th 04, 02:34 PM
C. E. White

If anyone has a working Carfax account, I'd appreciate it if
you'd run a report on a 1996 Explorer V-8 VIN
1FMDU32P3TZA58973.

Thanks

Ed
Old September 8th 04, 03:02 PM
C. E. White

Jeremiah wrote:

> The electric supercharger seems like a good idea right? free hourse power,
> not drag from a pully, and no lag from exhaust, not so much, from what i've
> read.

Where do you think the power to run the "electric
supercharger" comes from? A 2.2L engine running at 6000 rpm
will need around 240 scfm boosted to 5 psig to get a large
increase in power. This will require more than 5 horsepower
(probably way more). Now go look at the size, power
rquirements, and cabling requirments for a 5 hp electric
motor and get back to me on how great an "electric
supercharger" will work. The ads I've seen are a total fraud
(see http://www.esuperchargers.com/ for example). 240 scfm
at only 2 psi will still require at least a couple of
horespower ( 2 hp is approximately 1500 watts which at 12
volts will require over 120 amps of current).

> They seem to be really non-efficiant and wast alot of energy. and to
> me, controlling the boost seems a little tricky, i'm no sure how it's all
> setup. There are belt driven superchargers and turbo chargers online for the
> S-series, and new ION (2.2L) i'm sur ethere are for the L, but it's a tight
> fit under the hood.
> As for the resistor, they are junk dont' wast your money on it, your money
> would be better spent on cold air kit. the resistor wil make your car run
> like crap, run rich too, not worth it.
>
> hope that helps

Ed
Old September 8th 04, 04:52 PM
Blah Blah

Heck lets just say for a moment you wanted to put a "real" supercharger
or turbocharger on your 1.9 or ecotec. What would you need... Well for
starters you would need to lower your compression to about 8:1 and while
you were at it you would need forged pistons among many other things.
IMO anyone one out there looking to spend THAT kind of "money" to make
tiny little gains from their 4 banger "economy" cars would of been way
ahead if they just bought something like a Trans-Am in the first place!

Just stick with what the factory gave you... If you got money burning a
hole in your pocket, invest it in something more worth the effort. I've
seen people spend 30 grand on Hondas, Toyota, Cavaliers and other crap
and not increase the cars value by 1 buck. Those people would have been
way ahead to have spent it on something like a old or new GTO. Heck even
a replica Cobra would be a good choice.

In article >,
says...

Old September 8th 04, 10:40 PM
Richard Ray

Hello Ed,

Not to rain on your parade, but don't you think you should pay for your
own CARFAX query? Last time I used them, they offered a one vehicle
search for $20 and an unlimited vehicle search for one month for $25.
You would also get the Carfax guarantee if YOU did the search. IMHO, you
should spend your own cash, or if someone on the Usenet wants to help,
send him an Omaha Steak or something for his trouble. Those professional
subscriptions don't come cheap. A lot like bringing your groceries to
the restaurant and telling the chef to cook them for you.

Old September 9th 04, 06:05 AM
Robert Hancock

BTW, the compression ratio on the supercharged Ecotec in the Ion RL was only
reduced from 10:1 to 9.5:1. I don't think they used forged pistons either..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old September 9th 04, 12:34 PM
C. E. White

Richard Ray wrote:

> Hello Ed,
>
> Not to rain on your parade, but don't you think you should pay for your
> own CARFAX query? Last time I used them, they offered a one vehicle
> search for $20 and an unlimited vehicle search for one month for $25.
> You would also get the Carfax guarantee if YOU did the search. IMHO, you
> should spend your own cash, or if someone on the Usenet wants to help,
> send him an Omaha Steak or something for his trouble. Those professional
> subscriptions don't come cheap. A lot like bringing your groceries to
> the restaurant and telling the chef to cook them for you.

Your are not raining on my parade. The car is already
purchased (and it is not mine, but a friend's). Just looking
for information out of curiosity more than need. Definitely
not worth $25 (or even $5). Mostly just curious to see if
all the recalls have been performed. My friend is going to
go to the dealer to have this verified, but I thought
someone with a Carfax subscription might give him a early
heads up.

Ed