1989 325i making unearthly noise under the engine

Old August 25th 09, 07:21 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
AnisShivani

Default 1989 325i making unearthly noise under the engine

Let me try to describe the sound. It doesn't happen all the time,
just after a lot of driving. Occurs when turning, especially on
uneven road surfaces. It can happen when I brake, though I don't
think it's the brake pad sound. It can continue even after I have
fully braked, and the car is standing still. It can happen when I
decelerate, am close to braking.
It seems to come from the middle front, i.e., almost under the
airconditioning system. Perhaps a little on the left, though it's
hard to tell. It's not quite grinding, not quite clanging, not quite
rattling, not quite groaning/moaning, though a little of all of
these. Definitely metallic. The best I can describe is it sounds
like a plane going overhead, and I often have to look if there's a
plane, or a truck or something beside or behind me making the sound.
Recently the car was parked for almost 2 mos., during Houston 100
degree heat, at a stupid mechanic's. The noise started after that.
I'd really appreciate help as to what this might be. Before I take in
to another mechanic, not the same one.
Thank you!
Old August 26th 09, 02:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RJD

Kind of hard to tell with that explanation but I'd look real hard at
the motor mounts. If your engine is moving around it can make all
kinds of bad sounds. If you still have the original mounts they are
ripe for a failure.

RJD

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:21:04 -0700 (PDT), AnisShivani

Old August 26th 09, 04:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Anis

On Aug 25, 8:59*pm, RJD > wrote:
> Kind of hard to tell with that explanation but I'd look real hard at
> the motor mounts. If your engine is moving around it can make all
> kinds of bad sounds. If you still have the original mounts they are
> ripe for a failure.
>
> RJD
>
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:21:04 -0700 (PDT), AnisShivani
>
> > wrote:
> >Let me try to describe the sound. *It doesn't happen all the time,
> >just after a lot of driving. *Occurs when turning, especially on
> >uneven road surfaces. *It can happen when I brake, though I don't
> >think it's the brake pad sound. *It can continue even after I have
> >fully braked, and the car is standing still. *It can happen when I
> >decelerate, am close to braking.
> >It seems to come from the middle front, i.e., almost under the
> >airconditioning system. *Perhaps a little on the left, though it's
> >hard to tell. *It's not quite grinding, not quite clanging, not quite
> >rattling, not quite groaning/moaning, though a little of all of
> >these. *Definitely metallic. *The best I can describe is it sounds
> >like a plane going overhead, and I often have to look if there's a
> >plane, or a truck or something beside or behind me making the sound.
> >Recently the car was parked for almost 2 mos., during Houston 100
> >degree heat, at a stupid mechanic's. *The noise started after that.
> >I'd really appreciate help as to what this might be. *Before I take in
> >to another mechanic, not the same one.
> >Thank you!

Could it some suspension part that's dried up because the car stood
for so long?
And just needs to be lubricated? I'd guess it's something frozen, or
has come loose,
because they didn't reassemble things properly. By the way, they were
working on the
a/c for all that time. How about a loose wheel bearing? Is that
possible?
Old August 27th 09, 12:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

On Aug 25, 1:21*am, AnisShivani > wrote:
> Let me try to describe the sound. *It doesn't happen all the time,
> just after a lot of driving. *Occurs when turning, especially on
> uneven road surfaces. *It can happen when I brake, though I don't
> think it's the brake pad sound. *It can continue even after I have
> fully braked, and the car is standing still. *It can happen when I
> decelerate, am close to braking.
> It seems to come from the middle front, i.e., almost under the
> airconditioning system. *Perhaps a little on the left, though it's
> hard to tell. *It's not quite grinding, not quite clanging, not quite
> rattling, not quite groaning/moaning, though a little of all of
> these. *Definitely metallic. *The best I can describe is it sounds
> like a plane going overhead, and I often have to look if there's a
> plane, or a truck or something beside or behind me making the sound.
> Recently the car was parked for almost 2 mos., during Houston 100
> degree heat, at a stupid mechanic's. *The noise started after that.
> I'd really appreciate help as to what this might be. *Before I take in
> to another mechanic, not the same one.
> Thank you!

I had similar sounds and it ended up being a bad alternator along with
bad pulleys/bearings.
How many miles on car?
I've learned bmw autos have weak cooling systems (factory). Also
alternators and the pulleys/bearing don't last as long as japanese
cars.
I've seen them go about every 35k or so. Japanese alternators,
pulleys and bearing usually go over 100k miles.
since u car is 89 model, I'd also look at motor mounts, suspension
bushings too.

However the sound u describe sounds like something spinning at high
speed that has broken.

Good luck!!

Oskar
Old August 27th 09, 05:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Anis

On Aug 26, 6:43*pm, " > wrote:
> On Aug 25, 1:21*am, AnisShivani > wrote:
>

> > Let me try to describe the sound. *It doesn't happen all the time,
> > just after a lot of driving. *Occurs when turning, especially on
> > uneven road surfaces. *It can happen when I brake, though I don't
> > think it's the brake pad sound. *It can continue even after I have
> > fully braked, and the car is standing still. *It can happen when I
> > decelerate, am close to braking.
> > It seems to come from the middle front, i.e., almost under the
> > airconditioning system. *Perhaps a little on the left, though it's
> > hard to tell. *It's not quite grinding, not quite clanging, not quite
> > rattling, not quite groaning/moaning, though a little of all of
> > these. *Definitely metallic. *The best I can describe is it sounds
> > like a plane going overhead, and I often have to look if there's a
> > plane, or a truck or something beside or behind me making the sound.
> > Recently the car was parked for almost 2 mos., during Houston 100
> > degree heat, at a stupid mechanic's. *The noise started after that.
> > I'd really appreciate help as to what this might be. *Before I take in
> > to another mechanic, not the same one.
> > Thank you!

> I had similar sounds and it ended up being a bad alternator along with
> bad pulleys/bearings.
> How many miles on car?
> I've learned bmw autos have weak cooling systems (factory). *Also
> alternators and the pulleys/bearing don't last as long as japanese
> cars.
> I've seen them go about every 35k or so. *Japanese alternators,
> pulleys and bearing usually go over 100k miles.
> since u car is 89 model, I'd also look at motor mounts, suspension
> bushings too.
>
> However the sound u describe sounds like something spinning at high
> speed that has broken.
>
> Good luck!!
>
> Oskar

Thanks for your thoughts.
The car has around 180,000 miles on it. I've had it for ten years and
never replaced the alternator, or pulleys/bearings. It's generally
trouble-free, unless the mechanic messes it up, makes it worse than
when I left it there. I still think something dried when it was
parked for 2 mos., and perhaps has broken now. Is suspension bushing/
mounts/bearings work expensive to fix?

1989 BMW 325i, Check Engine sign, engine hesitation: what is it? Nancy BMW 1 September 16th 07 04:04 PM
car making noise Jimmy[_2_] Honda 1 June 20th 07 03:27 PM
Steering squeaky noise, 1989 325i: what is it? Nancy BMW 2 January 29th 07 07:11 PM
Engine or tranny making whistleing noise [email protected] Ford Explorer 2 March 10th 06 03:55 AM
FS: 1989 BMW 325I bmw325i BMW 0 September 20th 04 05:41 PM