Vegetable Oil

Old May 17th 08, 12:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jono[_2_]

Default Vegetable Oil

Hello,

Well, now diesel is over £1.20 a litre here, I would like to consider
using alternative fuels - the cheapest being used vegetable oil.

I have trawled the net and found a plentitude of sites that say do this
or do that and a similar number that say don't do it.

Anyone here using used vegetable oil in a BMW diesel?

Any links to successes?

Thanks.

Old May 17th 08, 02:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RJD

On Sat, 17 May 2008 11:41:40 GMT, Jono >
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Well, now diesel is over £1.20 a litre here, I would like to consider
>using alternative fuels - the cheapest being used vegetable oil.
>
>I have trawled the net and found a plentitude of sites that say do this
>or do that and a similar number that say don't do it.
>
>Anyone here using used vegetable oil in a BMW diesel?
>
>Any links to successes?
>
>Thanks.

Vegatible oils have a large amount of free fatty acids and other
components that need to be removed before use as a fuel. You might do
a web search for BIODIESEL as there are sevral good articles that
tellyou how to process vegatibel oils into biodiesel. An attempt to
use untreated oil will lead to a quick failure of your fuel injection
system.

RJD
Old May 17th 08, 03:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

On Sat, 17 May 2008 11:41:40 GMT, Jono > wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Well, now diesel is over £1.20 a litre here, I would like to consider
>using alternative fuels - the cheapest being used vegetable oil.
>
>I have trawled the net and found a plentitude of sites that say do this
>or do that and a similar number that say don't do it.
>
>Anyone here using used vegetable oil in a BMW diesel?
>
>Any links to successes?
>
>Thanks.

Actually by law all diesel in the UK has to be 5% bio and this is causing
problems in smaller filling stations that don't sell a lot of the stuff as it's
bio organisms grow in the warm tanks and if there is water present they grow
faster.

Soon UK diesel will have to be 10% bio and then...............

However it's tax free if you make it yourself - go buy Car Mechanics magazine -
there is an ad in that this month for a self contained unit that does it for
you. 2 months ago they ran an article on this subject. Back numbers are
available.

Hugh
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old May 18th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Petrus

It worked fine on my 90 vw golf.
Old May 18th 08, 03:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

I can't imagine that the BMW diesel is any different than anybody elses
diesel. You are asking about a technology that has been around for several
years. You can get your oil from the local McDonalds or equivelent. All you
need is a scrubber to pick the french fries out.

McD has to pay somebody to haul the old oil off, if you offer to take it off
their hands for free, they'd like the proposition. If you offered $0.10 per
gallon to buy the crap from them, they'd like that even more.

. ..

Old May 18th 08, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Squat > wrote:
>There was a television news article to that effect here in New York City
>last summer. Seems a guy in Connecticut was doing just that and running it
>through his Mercedes Benz. (It was an older one, probably a mid 80's if I
>had to guess.)
>
>He collected oil from fast food stations, filtered it and ran his car on it.

This works for a while, but it causes a lot of premature engine wear because
the combustion products are very strongly acidic and there's also water
in there.

There is some pre-processing and pH buffering that can be done which will
make it a much safer and more reliable fuel.

>Jono, If it works, let us know. Myabe my nexg car will be an diesel...

Problem is that folks used to pay someone to dispose of used fryer oil,
now they are getting money for it. With the increasing number of processing
facilities out there, it will soon cost as much as diesel fuel.

Of course you could use fresh vegetable oil... but around here, even low
grade olive oil (not cold pressed) is more than twenty times as expensive
as diesel. It would make your car smell great, though. Even better you
could use the truffle-infused Nunez de Prado....
--scott