Intake Cam Position Sensor Errors 2001 e39 530i 98,000 miles

Old October 7th 08, 10:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RJD

Default Intake Cam Position Sensor Errors 2001 e39 530i 98,000 miles

Mark you might want to check the pins in the sensor connector. If you
have access to a voltmeter it is easy enough to check for bad
electrical connections.

If your new gasket holds the face of the sensor too far from the cam
you will also have problems. There is very little margin for error in
positioning the clearance between sensor and cam.

It is also possible that it is trying to tell you the cam isn't in the
correct position at a given engine RPM. BMW codes are a bit sketchy
when it comes to defining a problem. Hooking up a good diagnostic
analyzer can tell you what degree of advance the system is seeing at
various RPM's.

RJD

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:33:19 -0400, mark barron

Old October 14th 08, 05:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Brett Anderson - KMS

Don't assume anything.

Every BMW Independent Repair shop out there knows that only genuine BMW
sensors work. The Febi is junk.

Brett Anderson
KMS

Old October 25th 08, 01:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
mark barron

Brett Anderson - KMS wrote:
> Don't assume anything.
>
> Every BMW Independent Repair shop out there knows that only genuine BMW
> sensors work. The Febi is junk.
>
> Brett Anderson
> KMS
>

> "mark barron" > wrote in message
>> Following several '41' errors, once followed by a limp home mode episode,
>> I replaced the sensor with one from Febi. The sensor came with a gasket
>> that was rather small in cross section. I bought the "thicker" one
>> recommended by the seller. With this recommended gasket the sensor
>> seemed to fit more snugly. The holding bolt is snug. Now I am still
>> getting the same error
>> Namely , 41 from table 19 using my Peake code reader.
>> Assuming that the new sensor is good, do you have any ideas
>> why I am getting this error?
>> Many Thanks, Mark

Thanks Brett. I appreciate your reply.
Old October 25th 08, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
mark barron

RJD wrote:
> Mark you might want to check the pins in the sensor connector. If you
> have access to a voltmeter it is easy enough to check for bad
> electrical connections.
>
> If your new gasket holds the face of the sensor too far from the cam
> you will also have problems. There is very little margin for error in
> positioning the clearance between sensor and cam.
>
> It is also possible that it is trying to tell you the cam isn't in the
> correct position at a given engine RPM. BMW codes are a bit sketchy
> when it comes to defining a problem. Hooking up a good diagnostic
> analyzer can tell you what degree of advance the system is seeing at
> various RPM's.
>
> RJD
>

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:33:19 -0400, mark barron
> > wrote:
>
>> Following several '41' errors, once followed by a limp home mode
>> episode, I replaced the sensor with one from Febi. The sensor came with
>> a gasket
>> that was rather small in cross section. I bought the "thicker" one
>> recommended by the seller. With this recommended gasket the sensor
>> seemed to fit more snugly. The holding bolt is snug. Now I am still
>> getting the same error
>> Namely , 41 from table 19 using my Peake code reader.
>> Assuming that the new sensor is good, do you have any ideas
>> why I am getting this error?
>> Many Thanks, Mark

Thanks so much for your reply RJD!
Old October 30th 08, 01:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
mark barron

Following several '41' errors, once followed by a limp home mode
episode, I replaced the sensor with one from Febi. The sensor came with
a gasket
that was rather small in cross section. I bought the "thicker" one
recommended by the seller. With this recommended gasket the sensor
seemed to fit more snugly. The holding bolt is snug. Now I am still
getting the same error
Namely , 41 from table 19 using my Peake code reader.
Assuming that the new sensor is good, do you have any ideas
why I am getting this error?
Many Thanks, Mark

2001 530i 5-spd 91,00 miles. How to remove cover from back of Boschalternator mark barron BMW 8 April 29th 08 07:22 PM
Position sensor McNick Jeep 3 March 19th 06 02:38 PM
Is it possible to bypass the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor, Crankcase Position Sensor) Erich Jeep 16 January 30th 06 12:12 PM
AWA [OFFER] Wheel sensor;Crankshaf position sensor;camshaft sensor;knock sensor;phase s [email protected] General 0 January 10th 06 12:51 PM