2003 Z4 question

Old October 12th 09, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jim

Default 2003 Z4 question

Hello,

I have bought as per subject line and after searching through the
owners manual and following instructions, I can not get the anti-theft alarm
system to work.. After getting iit home I am now wondering if I actually
have the alarm system as an option. Hate to sound like a real lamer but how
would I go about finding if I do or if I do not have an alarm system in this
vehicle? Is there something I can physically look for such as a relay, box,
speaker etc?... My thoughts are that the previous owner disconnected it via
fuse panel or such.... thoughts? Thanks.. Jim

Old October 12th 09, 03:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Jim" <nospam@wherever> wrote
> I have bought as per subject line and after searching through the
> owners manual and following instructions, I can not get the anti-theft
> alarm system to work.. After getting iit home I am now wondering if I
> actually have the alarm system as an option. Hate to sound like a real
> lamer but how would I go about finding if I do or if I do not have an
> alarm system in this vehicle? Is there something I can physically look for
> such as a relay, box, speaker etc?... My thoughts are that the previous
> owner disconnected it via fuse panel or such.... thoughts? Thanks.. Jim

Not entirely sure about the Z4, but the alarm system is a dealer-installed
option on all 3-series, possibly on 5-series. It's not a standard item,
although
the car is pre-wired.

FYI, installation of after-market systems have been problematical and
often have caused problems due to the complex electronics in these cars.

FloydR

Old October 12th 09, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RJD

If you have an alarm system of BMW design you should have an electric
siren attached behind the front bumper and easily visible with the
hood raised. You can also ask a BMW dealer to run a "build sheet" on
your car by providing a VIN number. If the alarm system was factory
installed it will show on the build sheet.

Get a Bentley manual for your Z4 as it can answer most questions about
the car and its sub-components.

RJD

Old October 12th 09, 11:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Jim" <nospam@wherever> wrote in message
el...
> Hello,
>
> I have bought as per subject line and after searching through the
> owners manual and following instructions, I can not get the anti-theft
> alarm system to work.. After getting iit home I am now wondering if I
> actually have the alarm system as an option. Hate to sound like a real
> lamer but how would I go about finding if I do or if I do not have an
> alarm system in this vehicle? Is there something I can physically look for
> such as a relay, box, speaker etc?... My thoughts are that the previous
> owner disconnected it via fuse panel or such.... thoughts? Thanks.. Jim

Why would anybody disconnect it?

The alarm is an option. You should have a key fob that locks and unlocks the
doors by pressing a button, and when the doors are locked in this manner,
the ignition is bypassed so the car will not start. (Put the car in P or N,
lock the doors with the key fob, reach in the window and start the car with
the key -- it should not start.)

The alarm system is controller and a horn that easily plug into connectors
already on the car -- I have to scratch my head on the horn, now that I
brought it up -- and after it is installed, the computer has to be
programmed to accept it.

Old October 12th 09, 11:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

By the way,
The alarm system is EASY to install. You can find them on eBay. I strongly
urge you to consider NOTHING BUT the OEM system. Aftermarket systems have
proven to be problematic.

I found a BMW alarm for my daughter's '00 323i a few years ago for $150-ish.
My daughter was able to put it in.

Old October 17th 09, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
johnm

Jim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have bought as per subject line and after searching through the
> owners manual and following instructions, I can not get the anti-theft alarm
> system to work.. After getting iit home I am now wondering if I actually
> have the alarm system as an option. Hate to sound like a real lamer but how
> would I go about finding if I do or if I do not have an alarm system in this
> vehicle? Is there something I can physically look for such as a relay, box,
> speaker etc?... My thoughts are that the previous owner disconnected it via
> fuse panel or such.... thoughts? Thanks.. Jim

My 2002 M3 has the alarm with movement sensors, I don't know if the Z4
is the same, but you can test the alarm in the M3 by locking the car
with the windows down and putting your hand through the open window,
there's about a 10sec delay and the alarm goes off.

I think arming the alarm is dealer programmable when the car is locked
either from the key, the remote or both, mine certainly arms when the
car is locked with the remote, which is all I use.

JM

2003 ION battery question. nightrider.36 Saturn 3 July 8th 08 04:21 PM
2003 Mustang GT VIN question DMHenrie Ford Mustang 0 July 22nd 06 04:28 AM
2003 T&C question Chris Burns Chrysler 1 October 11th 05 01:58 AM
2003 A4 Glovebox repair question riplead Audi 3 August 20th 05 01:30 AM
Question about a Dodge SX 2.0 (2003) Bill 2 Dodge 1 April 12th 04 10:59 PM