A3 : Rear Brake lights staying on!

Old May 13th 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default A3 : Rear Brake lights staying on!

Hi there

Can anyone give me some advice on this:

I've got a 2001 A3 1.8T. I got out of the car earlier and noticed that the
rear brake lights on remained on. I've checked the brake pedal to check it
wasn't slightly depressed at all, but that's all ok. I disconnected the
battery and reconnected to see if that might clear the problem, but no luck.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to anything I can look at?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Cheers

Rob

Old May 13th 06, 07:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Rear Brake lights staying on!

"RobP" > wrote in message
> I've got a 2001 A3 1.8T. I got out of the car earlier and noticed that the
> rear brake lights on remained on.

Ok scrub that. I did some better googling (results got better when I put
brake and not break!!) and saw mention of a brake switch under the pedal. I
had a little looksy and a rumage around, and to be honest I didn't actually
do anything other than run my fingers round around whatever was under the
pedal but that seems to clear have fixed the problem.

I took it for a quick spin around the block. Weird, cos I had no problems
braking, but it just *felt* a bit odd, like the pedal maybe didn't depress
as far as normal and it sounded more airy to the touch. But maybe it's easy
to be paranoid about those things when you pay more attention to something
that you previously just took for granted as working.

Old May 13th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

RobP wrote:
> "RobP" > wrote in message
>
>>I've got a 2001 A3 1.8T. I got out of the car earlier and noticed that the
>>rear brake lights on remained on.

> Ok scrub that. I did some better googling (results got better when I put
> brake and not break!!) and saw mention of a brake switch under the pedal. I
> had a little looksy and a rumage around, and to be honest I didn't actually
> do anything other than run my fingers round around whatever was under the
> pedal but that seems to clear have fixed the problem.

Yes, there is a switch under the brake pedal and it can be a problem on
earlier A3's (I had the problem also). The Audi centre replaced it
under warranty, but otherwise it costs about 40quid to put right. I
suspect it's just a heavy duty microswitch and with appropriate
documentation is probably a diy job, although that would depend on your
level of diy skill :-)