2002 civic transmission problems

Old July 26th 05, 07:17 PM
motsco_ _

Dave wrote:
> Letting everyone know what happened. Just got off the phone with
> Cottman transmission and he told me it was a solenoid that had failed
> and burnt up the transmission. 14 hundred bucks. A fail safe of some
> kind sounds like a good idea on some of these components now days. I
> guess ya cant win them all.

----------------------

Who the heck is Cottman transmission? (are they big where you are?) The
dealer has all the TSB's and diagnostic tools that are UNIQUE to Honda
trannies. You might do WAY better at a honda dealer.

'Curly'

Old July 27th 05, 05:31 AM
jim beam

Dave wrote:
> Letting everyone know what happened. Just got off the phone with
> Cottman transmission and he told me it was a solenoid that had failed
> and burnt up the transmission. 14 hundred bucks. A fail safe of some
> kind sounds like a good idea on some of these components now days. I
> guess ya cant win them all.

how does the solenoid burn out the whole transmission??? if the
solenoid is not switching to activate the clutch pistons, how can the
clutches burn out? it's just in a "forced" neutral.

unless you want to pay for a dealer diagnostic, for the price, it's got
to be way cheaper to replace the solenoid and take a pretty good stab at
that curing the problem than having someone give you a phone diagnosis
and talk you into a $1400 bill.

Old July 30th 05, 03:01 AM
Dave

The reason I went with Cottman instead of a Honda dealer. I called the
dealer first and talked to the service manager. After describing the
problem I asked him what he thought. He said "That sounds bad" I then
asked him what it might cost. He said they could find out what was
wrong with it by putting it on the machine but that they did not work
on transmissions there, all they could do was replace it with a rebuilt
transmission and it would run $3,500.00. So my choices were getting
ripped by Honda for 3,500 or possibly getting the shaft from Cottmans
for 13 to 18 hundred. She gets a 12 month 12,000 warranty so she can
drive it for 11 months and then dump it for a better brand.

Old July 30th 05, 07:51 AM
SoCalMike

Dave wrote:
> The reason I went with Cottman instead of a Honda dealer. I called the
> dealer first and talked to the service manager. After describing the
> problem I asked him what he thought. He said "That sounds bad" I then
> asked him what it might cost. He said they could find out what was
> wrong with it by putting it on the machine but that they did not work
> on transmissions there, all they could do was replace it with a rebuilt
> transmission and it would run $3,500.00. So my choices were getting
> ripped by Honda for 3,500 or possibly getting the shaft from Cottmans
> for 13 to 18 hundred. She gets a 12 month 12,000 warranty so she can
> drive it for 11 months and then dump it for a better brand.

no need to slag the whole brand because she bought a used lemon. ever
think that might have been the reason the original owner sold her a 2002
so cheaply? ya gets what ya pay for.