GTP isn't worth the hassle

Old March 24th 05, 10:29 PM
Steve Simpson

>> I think Falcon 3 was the worst. IIRC something around 612k was needed.
>> That was the original Falcon dance

> Aces over Europe was the one I had the most trouble with, that and Rail
> Road Tycoon DL
>
> High memory area, Upper Memory Blocks, boot menus from hell

Hehe...I loved it. I reckon I had the most kick-ass dos 6.22 boot menu ever
devised.

Old March 24th 05, 10:33 PM
JP

Argh, yeah, F3 was a pita. Don't miss editing config.sys and autoexec.bat
at all.

"Mitch_A" > wrote in message
om...
> You got that right Tony
>
> I think Falcon 3 was the worst. IIRC something around 612k was needed.
> That was the original Falcon dance
>
> Mitch
>

> "Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> So now you need a fresh install of NR2003 and a working cd that you
> >> must have in the drive to play this thing, a lot of people including me
> >> don't have a working cd anymore and must use a crack.
> >>
> >> Be aware also if you make another install on your hd and them at some
> >> point decide to remove it, it will wipe out your original install as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> It's not worth the hassle people, I'm going with GTR.

> > Thanks for the in depth review. I didn't realise the installation

routine
> > was the only criteria when evaluating racing sims, so you have saved a

lot
> > of people the bother.
> >
> > Anyone remember the efforts with EMM386 to get F1GP running? Getting

free

Old March 25th 05, 12:48 AM
Jan Verschueren

"Vintook" wrote...
> <snip>

Never mind all that, he's just trolling.

However, put this particular sceptic's mind at ease if you will...

Has the tyre NR2k3 tyre model been replaced by one representing low profile
slick tyres? -I.o.w. are the break-aways sudden an viscious enough?

Have the stock car setup limitations with regard to spring rate and ride
height been removed, or just disguised?

If so, it may be worth my hassle of actually downloading and installing it.

Jan.
=--

Old March 25th 05, 01:35 AM
Steve Smith

No, Jan, it isn't perfect. No matter how fearsome the wolf's clothing
looks, you can still occasionally see sheep's feet sticking out from under
it. At the end of the day, tho, it's far and away the best mod ever done
for N2003...or anything else except GTR. Compared to GTR, GTP feels
slightly cartoon-ish, over-simplified and un-subtle, but the cars drive
great, there's a huge selection of appropriate tracks (altho not all tracks
suitable for stock cars and trux are suitable for 200+ mph GT Prototypes),
and the online play...and league features...are matchless.

Old March 26th 05, 01:07 AM
Jan Verschueren

"Steve Smith" wrote...
> No, Jan, it isn't perfect. No matter how fearsome the
> wolf's clothing looks, you can still occasionally see
> sheep's feet sticking out from under it.

None of them are, Steve, it just a matter of how good the approximation is.

> At the end of the day, tho, it's far and away the best mod ever done
> for N2003...or anything else except GTR.

Among the non stock car related mods you mean, I'm sure.

> Compared to GTR, GTP feels slightly cartoon-ish, over-
> simplified and un-subtle, but the cars drive great,
> there's a huge selection of appropriate tracks (altho
> not all tracks suitable for stock cars and trux are
> suitable for 200+ mph GT Prototypes),

Obviously, but is there any point? -the way you're talking it will still
have the two basic problems which put me off the TA mod for life:

1) I will feel the chassis move over the tyres before the car will even
begin to turn in to the corners.

2) it will still be *way* quicker to simply kill the rear and deal with the
resulting mess by balancing throttle against brake hotlapper/Schumacher
style than to set up the car properly given the laughable
rideheights/springrates available.

--> No thanks, I'll stick to GPL.

> and the online play...and league features...are matchless.

Which are also present in the series the game manages to represent more or
less adequately: stock cars.

Jan.
=---

Old March 26th 05, 01:13 AM
Jan Verschueren

"Steve Smith" wrote...
> <snip>

Have to add I do appreciate you talking straight about these aspects, seeing
as direct questions to the modding team on same have, to date, remained
unanswered.

Jan.
=---

Old March 26th 05, 01:48 AM
Steve Smith

Yer points are well phrased...and well taken.

Old March 26th 05, 03:56 AM
David G Fisher

"Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message
> "Steve Smith" wrote...
> > No, Jan, it isn't perfect. No matter how fearsome the
> > wolf's clothing looks, you can still occasionally see
> > sheep's feet sticking out from under it.

> None of them are, Steve, it just a matter of how good the approximation

is.

> > At the end of the day, tho, it's far and away the best mod ever done
> > for N2003...or anything else except GTR.

> Among the non stock car related mods you mean, I'm sure.
>
> > Compared to GTR, GTP feels slightly cartoon-ish, over-
> > simplified and un-subtle, but the cars drive great,
> > there's a huge selection of appropriate tracks (altho
> > not all tracks suitable for stock cars and trux are
> > suitable for 200+ mph GT Prototypes),

> Obviously, but is there any point? -the way you're talking it will still
> have the two basic problems which put me off the TA mod for life:
>
> 1) I will feel the chassis move over the tyres before the car will even
> begin to turn in to the corners.
>
> 2) it will still be *way* quicker to simply kill the rear and deal with

the
> resulting mess by balancing throttle against brake hotlapper/Schumacher
> style than to set up the car properly given the laughable
> rideheights/springrates available.
>
> --> No thanks, I'll stick to GPL.
>
> > and the online play...and league features...are matchless.

> Which are also present in the series the game manages to represent more or
> less adequately: stock cars.
>
> Jan.
> =---

The GTP cars feel a lot, lot different than the Cup or TA cars.

--
David G Fisher

Old March 26th 05, 07:26 AM
marc fredo via GamesKB.com

I have tried hard for figure this mod out. Every step was taken not only
by me, but my business tech director as well. When we attempt the startup,
IT REBOOTS my ENTIRE system... Can anyone formulate a step by step to make
it easy to understand...Maybe someone like redline??? Why go through the
trouble to put something this exciting together, and then do such a poor
job of helping us enjoy it?