Buying guide 300M ?

Old February 28th 05, 04:39 PM
JR

Default Buying guide 300M ?

I have to own and drive the 300M before I die - now is the time.

I am looking at several used 1998/1999 (European) 2.7 V6 aut. models with
about 100.000 km on the clock. I will be test driving some of them this week
and I would like to knw where to look for possible problems with this car.

Thanks

JimR
Denmark

Old February 28th 05, 11:56 PM
Bill Putney

JR wrote:
> I have to own and drive the 300M before I die - now is the time.
>
> I am looking at several used 1998/1999 (European) 2.7 V6 aut. models with
> about 100.000 km on the clock. I will be test driving some of them this week
> and I would like to knw where to look for possible problems with this car.
>
> Thanks
>
> JimR
> Denmark

Jim,
Your biggest concern would be the 2.7L engine. The 2.7L engine has a
reputation for sludging up to a point of self destruction around 100 to
130 km. If a given car has mostly highway driving (versus short trip
and stop-and-go driving) and regular maintenance (i.e. 5 km oil and oil
filter changes), then it would probably be OK. I myself have 210 km on
my Concorde with 2.7L engine, and it runs great. I bought it used with
93 km on the ticker.

There are corrective and preventative measures for a sludge-laden engine
as long as damage has not started. To improve your chances with that, I
would get one with as few km's on it as you can afford. If a given car
has synthetic oil in it from early on, that is a big plus.

Other than the concern for the engine, the windows are a weak point
(early failures with window motors and the clips that hold the door
glass to the widnow lift break) - however, it could well be that any
such problems on a '98 or '99 would have already occurred and been fixed
with later, more robust parts by now.

You will find a few other nuisance problems, but probably no more or no
less than other makes and models of cars.

There are two forums that you might check out:
(1) http://300mclub.100megs42.com/forums/index.php
The North American market 300M does not come with the 2.7L engine, but I
find it a very useful forum even for my Concorde with 2.7L engine (other
than the engine, 300M is mechanically and electrically 90+% the same as
Interpid and Concorde).

(2) www.dodgeintrepid.net
That would be a good forum since some U.S. Intrepids have the 2.7L
engine. Just don't let the extreme negativity by some people there
about the 2.7L scare you. I also hang out on the Intrepid forums.

You'll find either place very helpful. Both are dominated by Yanks and
Canadians, but there are also some good people from Europe, Russia,
Saudi Arabia, Australia, etc.

Both forums have very good search features, and you will find several
threads answering your exact question (i.e., "I am getting ready to buy
X year of Y car. What things should I look for and what problems should
I expect?").

HTH!!!

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 1st 05, 12:29 AM
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Interpid and Concorde).
>
> (2) www.dodgeintrepid.net
> That would be a good forum since some U.S. Intrepids have the 2.7L
> engine. Just don't let the extreme negativity by some people there
> about the 2.7L scare you. I also hang out on the Intrepid forums.
>
> You'll find either place very helpful. Both are dominated by Yanks and
> Canadians, but there are also some good people from Europe, Russia,
> Saudi Arabia, Australia, etc.
>
> Both forums have very good search features, and you will find several
> threads answering your exact question (i.e., "I am getting ready to buy
> X year of Y car. What things should I look for and what problems should
> I expect?").
>
> HTH!!!
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my

The window motors have been updated and they still use those lift plates
that break. Did you replace the plates or the complete glass when yours
broke?

Old March 1st 05, 04:26 AM
Art

Everything imaginable were replaced on my 4 windows including
weatherstripping and they still tend to stick.

Old March 1st 05, 10:59 AM
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> [...]

>>about the 2.7L scare you. I also hang out on the Intrepid forums.
>>
>>You'll find either place very helpful. Both are dominated by Yanks and
>>Canadians, but there are also some good people from Europe, Russia,
>>Saudi Arabia, Australia, etc.
>>
>>Both forums have very good search features, and you will find several
>>threads answering your exact question (i.e., "I am getting ready to buy
>>X year of Y car. What things should I look for and what problems should
>>I expect?").
>>
>>HTH!!!
>>
>>Bill Putney
>>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>>adddress with the letter 'x')

> The window motors have been updated and they still use those lift plates
> that break. Did you replace the plates or the complete glass when yours

I think there were production or design flaws in the early clips, which
they have since resolved. After people have properly replaced the
clips, they do not seem to have any problems. I replaced just the
clips. That was three years ago. I haven't heard of any of the
replacement ones breaking.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 1st 05, 06:10 PM
JR

Thanks, sludging up was also a problem with the 3.5 V6 in the Vision. I know
a Mopar mechanic who has redone several of these enggines. They tend to fail
somewhere about 150.000 km.

I am looking at 3 different used 2.7 models and one 3.5, they all have done
about 120.000 km.

I should be driving one of them tomorrow but we are having a serious snow
situation in Denmark right now so I'm not sure I will drive 150 km on snowy,
windy roads.

JimR

Old March 1st 05, 06:28 PM
Art

I don't believe any sludging of the 3.5 has ever been mentioned on this
newsgroup. 3.5 is extremely reliable engine.

k...

Old March 1st 05, 09:31 PM
Steve

JR wrote:

> Thanks, sludging up was also a problem with the 3.5 V6 in the Vision. I know
> a Mopar mechanic who has redone several of these enggines. They tend to fail
> somewhere about 150.000 km.

Nope, the 3.5 never had a chronic sludging problem. Nor does the 3.2,
which is a close relative of the 3.5 and was used for a few years-
that's why its a popular swap-in for failed 2.7s. The 2.7 was a
different design and is the only one that had the sludging problem.

I'm not saying "no 3.5s EVER fail," but the fact is that they generally
don't. About the only thing that chronically happens to them is a lower
intake manifold gasket leak, and that isn't fatal. My own 3.5 has over
220,000 miles on it now, and has never had anything but routine
maintenance and a set of lower intake gaskets at 190,000 miles. While I
was replacing the lower intake gaskets, I pulled the valve covers off to
replace the valve cover gaskets as well, and took a look in the
overhead. Not only was there no sludge (and I mean not a single
FLECK...) the cams, rockers, pedestals, valve stems, and valve springs
looked brand new. Not just clean, NEW. I've never seen such a clean
engine at that kind of mileage.

Old March 1st 05, 10:17 PM
Steve Stone

There are a couple of consumer complaints on the NHTSA web site about the dash
cover cracking and tearing around the passenger airbag over time.

There have been some thoughts brought out in discussion groups about the need
to do a backflush on the cooling system with a 3.5 to prevent casting schrapnel
from plugging small internal water passages.

There are complaints about brakes and steering racks and tie rod ends.

There are paint quality issues, some I remember were it was real easy to mess
up the bumper covers in a hurry.

Two recalls I were seat back bolts and some sort of anti head banger cover for
the A pillar.

Windows stick, motors jam, door seals shrink.

Factory Goodyear tires suck. Most people should be thru them by now.

Wind noise concerns, windshield reflections, premature wear of leather seating
surfaces, gear shift, and steering wheel.

Some notes on shiny chrome like finish peekling off of levers and handles.

Improper removal / install of door panels results in cracked plastic

Easy to blow out the speakers.

I don't like the battery location.

I own a 2000 3ooM with 15,000 miles on the odometer.
Only problems I have had is a white haze that needs to be regularly cleaned
from the dash.

Still have the original Goodyear tires with plenty of tread and I will replace
them with something else as soon as needed.

The paint job could have been better. Some microscopic zits in the paint.

Otherwise the car is fine day purchased new April 2000.

Maybe if the 1988 New Yorker 3.0 rusts out I will get the 300M out of the
garage more often

Steve
N2UBP
Old March 1st 05, 10:46 PM
Ralf

Good reply Steve... you have a good memory! I have a 1999 300M with
48,000 miles on it. All those issues also pertain -- the white dust on the
dash is a puzzle? could that be the dust in the airbags? About every 3-4
months I have to wipe my dash clean to clear off this fine white dust...
anyone have any ideas.. And in spite of these annoyances the car is still a
joy to drive. RG
.. .