installing fog lights on '02 SC2

Old March 16th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default installing fog lights on '02 SC2

I want to install additional fog lights (55W halogens) to the under-fascia
of my '02 SC2. The oem fogs even with silverstars just arent bright enough.
I want to know if I can wire the new fog lights to use the same switch that
the oem fog lights use (on the dash) so that both the oem fog lights and the
new ones work together? Will the wiring/fusing handle it? AGain, I am
planning to use nothing more than 55W. TIA.

--
marx404

Old March 17th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

I don't have an '02 book to look at to see how the fogs are wired. If
they run off a relay, which most do, then you would probably be ok.
Personally I would run my own relay for the new lights. That way you
are not overloading any factory relays or switches. Use the 'hot' wire
going to the factory fogs to trigger the new relay.

James

Old March 17th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"marx404" > wrote in message
>I want to install additional fog lights (55W halogens) to the under-fascia
> of my '02 SC2. The oem fogs even with silverstars just arent bright
> enough.
> I want to know if I can wire the new fog lights to use the same switch
> that
> the oem fog lights use (on the dash) so that both the oem fog lights and
> the
> new ones work together? Will the wiring/fusing handle it? AGain, I am
> planning to use nothing more than 55W. TIA.
>
> --
> marx404

With consideration of the realities of winter driving and how hard it is to
keep the lower rad air deflector in place, I would not want to mount any
lights under the front bumper. IMHO, The S series front fascia is pretty
flimsy and seems to disintegrate easily, I doubt you will find much that is
solid enough to mount lights unless you bolt or weld brackets to the
aluminum front crossframe which would be a good solid mount. The front
fascia comes off easily for access, structural modification at your own
risk.

Sounds like you are really installing high power driving lights and not fog
lights?
Conventional wisdom (??) is/was that fog lights should be mounted low and
long range lights should be mounted high. There are also variations (of
opinion) in how lights should be aimed, some suggest spreading or crossing
beams to better illuminate the ditches and corners while also providing a
central hot spot, YMMV try several methods. The use of higher power bulbs
in the main headlight units may give better light intensity and range due to
their higher mounting location. The low location may be best for mounting
flat beam top fog lights which could be directed slightly spread towards the
ditches.

I would suggest that any high power load should be wired with a relay to
minimize voltage drop due to wire size and length, as well as allowing the
use of existing and probably undersized wiring and switches for control.

IMHO the stock light units have too much difference between the high and low
beam angles. When the low beams are adjusted correctly the high beams seem
to be focused too high and do not give a nice hot spot on the distant road
surface. When the high beams are correctly adjusted the low beams seem to
be focused too close to the car.

I have thought about putting bumper corner lights on my SW1 but not enough
to motivate its accomplishment. I am not a big fan of low mounted lights
for winter use as reflection is greater on snow covered roads and in blowing
snow. What kinds of lights are recommended? and Why?

Good luck, YMMV

Old March 19th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

And I thought you just asked a few simple questions... WOW

Old March 19th 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

The question isnt where to mount them, it's how to wire them. There is no
show where I am, only giant potholes that form overnight and small animals.
I need a 55W light (same as headlamp) to light up the road better than the
silvania silverstars that I already put in both my head and foglamps.

marx404

Old March 19th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"marx404" > wrote in message

> The question isnt where to mount them, it's how to wire them. There is no
> show where I am, only giant potholes that form overnight and small
> animals.
> I need a 55W light (same as headlamp) to light up the road better than the
> silvania silverstars that I already put in both my head and foglamps.
>
> marx404

"I would suggest that any high power load should be wired with a relay to
minimize voltage drop due to wire size and length, as well as allowing the
use of existing and probably undersized wiring and switches for control."

Suggest you run a SHORT & BIG wire (with fine strands not solid core) from
the positive junction terminal through an inline fuse and a relay to the
lights, use any existing (or new) switched wiring to control the relay. Use
a good clean ground. Big & Short wires result in brighter lights that also
last longer.

Larger (and probably illegal) bulbs may be available but are expensive and
have shorter service life. Use of a relay may be necessary to power larger
bulbs in stock housings.

Good Luck & Happy Trails

Old March 19th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

Sounds like an echo in here....

installing fog lights on 2000 mustang brandon Ford Mustang 1 August 20th 06 05:14 AM
Installing OEM Fog lights on 95 Cherokee Dano Jeep 5 June 5th 06 12:50 AM
Engine will not turn over, interior lights on but no head lights or sounds when key in ignition [email protected] Technology 7 April 6th 05 01:45 AM
Installing Fog Lights Eric Jeep 11 December 16th 04 02:58 AM
Cherokee -Tail lights and dash lights quit working JFM Jeep 9 December 8th 04 11:10 AM