Freezing window washer

Old February 22nd 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

Default Freezing window washer - denatured

In article <H4Gvj.1761$RQ3.646@trndny05>, "Oppie" > wrote:
>Last I knew, denatured alcohol is Ethanol with a poison added to render it
>undrinkable (otherwise it is taxed as liquor). Methanol is poisonous as-is.
>Methanol: C-H3- OH, Ethanol: C2-H5-OH

That's correct; the most common denaturant for ethanol is methanol. Either one
will work just fine to keep your windshield washer fluid from freezing, and
neither one will harm the finish on your car.

--
Regards,

Old February 23rd 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Coasten1

Default Freezing window washer

I have better fluid in the tank now and it seems to be better. The fluid
originally in there was what the dealer kept topping it off with every 3
months.

My mom's car had the same issue and it is a 2007. First winter. They
replaced the fluid pump. We both thought that kind of odd since when it was
warm it worked fine.

Old March 2nd 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jon Jon

I lived in Alaska for 18 years @ -30 -40 and -50 degrees .. -62 at one
point -- anyway .. when I refilled my windshield wiper tank with " 30
below" fluid <like that would work> - I always added table salt to the
reservoir to keep the lines / squirters clear .. 2-3 teaspoons per
refill -- never had a problem with freeze-up.

Old March 3rd 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

You must have good windshield wipers. I would think that the salt would
leave behind a film on the windshield.
I made the mistake of adding brackish hudson river water to my windshield
resevoir. First time I attempted to use the sprayers to clean the windshield
rendered it almost opaque.

Old March 4th 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jon Jon

The salt I added to the wiper fluid reservoir wasn't enough to "make a
difference" between the ice, snow, and other elements my wipers / car
experienced in Alaska; it did, however, keep the lines from the
reservoir to the hole in the squirter below the wiper operational.

I'd like to be able to buy "Alaska" wiper blades in the "lower 48" ...so
far, haven't seen them.

off topic: -- headlights in Alaska never turned on from April til
...Sep..??///// ..... so not a problem Apr, May, June, July, August ...
then September - walalawa ------ one discovered they have a burnt out
headlight when turning them on for the first time in " 6 Months" ...

I did learn how one heats up the oil pan in a car in -40...-50.. -60
degree weather -- we tawkin when not close to a heater core - or engine
heater. If the car won't start and ya think it's because the oil in
your oil pan has frozen, ya take a tin cake pan, place charcoal
bricklets in it, light them, allow the flame to die out - much like you
would at a Summer BBQ - then place the pan on the ground below the oil
pan of your engine - usually after an hour or so, the frozen oil retrns
to liquid <or gel> form and your car MIGHT start.

Sum Bitchin Weather !!!!!