Integra brake switch replacement -- is there some sort of trick to this?

Old June 7th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Remco[_1_]

Default Integra brake switch replacement -- is there some sort of trick to this?

My 95 Integra automatic yesterday started to have a problem with one
not being able to get the transmission out of park, even with the
brake pedal pressed. When I looked at it closely, I also found the
brake lights out. The horn still works (same breaker).
So after some fiddling around, got the old switch out and tried a new
switch by just plugging it on to the connector - brake lights work
again and the transmission wants to get out of park again.

My problem is: how does one get that connector back in? There must be
a trick to it. I can thread the switch back into the pedal mount but
the connector just does not want to go back in. It seems like the
wire
to it is exactly long enough that it is ok once it is in but there's
not enough 'give' to bring it back up. There's also sheet metal and a
wire loom in the way. Of course, this is not the most comfortable
position to work in..

So what's the trick, if there's one? Does the whole pedal assembly
have to come out or something? I'm right now debating to just extend
the wires to that connector by soldering some new ones in between but
hate to mess with factory wiring.

TIA
Remco

Old June 11th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Remco[_1_]

On Jun 7, 8:05 am, Remco > wrote:
> My 95 Integra automatic yesterday started to have a problem with one
> not being able to get the transmission out of park, even with the
> brake pedal pressed. When I looked at it closely, I also found the
> brake lights out. The horn still works (same breaker).
> So after some fiddling around, got the old switch out and tried a new
> switch by just plugging it on to the connector - brake lights work
> again and the transmission wants to get out of park again.
>
> My problem is: how does one get that connector back in? There must be
> a trick to it. I can thread the switch back into the pedal mount but
> the connector just does not want to go back in. It seems like the
> wire
> to it is exactly long enough that it is ok once it is in but there's
> not enough 'give' to bring it back up. There's also sheet metal and a
> wire loom in the way. Of course, this is not the most comfortable
> position to work in..
>
> So what's the trick, if there's one? Does the whole pedal assembly
> have to come out or something? I'm right now debating to just extend
> the wires to that connector by soldering some new ones in between but> hate to mess with factory wiring.
>
> TIA
> Remco

Just answering my own question, in case anyone else ever needs to do
this:

I started to solder extra wire in into the harness but found that
there was just enough 'slop' in the wire after I took the flexible
plastic wrap off.
It bought me about 1/2", just enough to slip the connector back in.
Quite ridiculous that they made the wire to this switch have
absolutely no strain relief, though. About 1" more and it would be
perfectly serviceable.