Maybe stupid question cleaning a 92 LT-1

Old July 9th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George Csahanin

Default Maybe stupid question cleaning a 92 LT-1

Folks...I have a 92 LT-1, 129K miles, runs great, passes smog test with
flying colors, etc. Did an optispark, water pump, and radiator fan two years
ago.

I look at other same vintage cars and their engines are sparking clean. And
while I'd like the same, the Optispark issue has always kept me from
cleaning it off...

Am I missing something? Can it be safely cleaned? My Opti went out when I
bled air from the cooling line at the front of the throttle body, and wasn't
paying attention, and got some cooland drain down to the well-placed
Optispark.

So anyone have any ideas for cleaning an LT-1, with the original Optispark.
Didn't feel like the amount of disassembly needed to upgrade the Optispark,
I was told it required pulling the camshaft.

Let me know, please.

georgec_at_dyb_dot_com

--
George J. Csahanin

Old July 10th 06, 02:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

Put a tight fitting plastic bag over the OptiSpark and use a rubber
band on the bottom of it (??)

Old July 10th 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:56:51 GMT, "George Csahanin"
> wrote:

>Folks...I have a 92 LT-1, 129K miles, runs great, passes smog test with
>flying colors, etc. Did an optispark, water pump, and radiator fan two years
>ago.
>
>I look at other same vintage cars and their engines are sparking clean. And
>while I'd like the same, the Optispark issue has always kept me from
>cleaning it off...
>
>Am I missing something? Can it be safely cleaned? My Opti went out when I
>bled air from the cooling line at the front of the throttle body, and wasn't
>paying attention, and got some cooland drain down to the well-placed
>Optispark.
>
>So anyone have any ideas for cleaning an LT-1, with the original Optispark.
>Didn't feel like the amount of disassembly needed to upgrade the Optispark,
>I was told it required pulling the camshaft.
>
>Let me know, please.
>
>georgec_at_dyb_dot_com

Simple green sprayed on foma pump dispenser (like a detailer spray)
followed by wiping down the engine with rags, followed by using water
in the spray bottle ...

Thats the way I cleaned my 95 engine compartment... used to wipe down
the rest of the engine compartment,_ wheel wells- radiator shrouding
etc and hoses with WD40 sprayed on a rag ...

Not a bid deal once its pretty clean ..very easy to keep it clean and
believe it or not it does not take much time...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 RagTops
76 & 79 Coupes

Old July 11th 06, 11:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected]

George Csahanin wrote:
> Folks...I have a 92 LT-1, 129K miles, runs great, passes smog test with
> flying colors, etc. Did an optispark, water pump, and radiator fan two years
> ago.
>
> I look at other same vintage cars and their engines are sparking clean. And
> while I'd like the same, the Optispark issue has always kept me from
> cleaning it off...
>
> Am I missing something? Can it be safely cleaned? My Opti went out when I
> bled air from the cooling line at the front of the throttle body, and wasn't
> paying attention, and got some cooland drain down to the well-placed
> Optispark.
>
> So anyone have any ideas for cleaning an LT-1, with the original Optispark.
> Didn't feel like the amount of disassembly needed to upgrade the Optispark,
> I was told it required pulling the camshaft.
>
> Let me know, please.
>
> georgec_at_dyb_dot_com
>
> --
> George J. Csahanin

My father uses hot water, tide detergent, and a brush that looks like a
large round painter's brush. The bristles are stiff but it's not a
wire brush.

He starts at the top and daubs his way down. No high pressure is used,
and trust me, you could eat off his engines.