Not a Miata but this is awesome

Old January 28th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Not a Miata but this is awesome

I am surprised that I have not seen this before. 43 years and over
500,000 miles on her Comet, that is impressive to someone like me who
has sold or destroyed every car I have owned in less than 10
years/100,000 miles.

It would be interesting to see if anyone who bought a brand-new 1989
Miata will still be driving it in the year 2032............I will have
to make it to at least 62 to see that.

Since I made it to 40 last year against a lot of bets that I would be
taken out long before now, I guess that is possible. :-)

http://growingbolder.com/media/techn...l#content_tabs

Pat
Old January 28th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

On 1/28/2010 10:16 AM, pws wrote:
> I am surprised that I have not seen this before. 43 years and over
> 500,000 miles on her Comet, that is impressive to someone like me who
> has sold or destroyed every car I have owned in less than 10
> years/100,000 miles.
>
> It would be interesting to see if anyone who bought a brand-new 1989
> Miata will still be driving it in the year 2032............I will have
> to make it to at least 62 to see that.
>
> Since I made it to 40 last year against a lot of bets that I would be
> taken out long before now, I guess that is possible. :-)
>
> http://growingbolder.com/media/techn...l#content_tabs
>

> Pat

Seems almost miraculous to me. The two Ford products I had back in the 60s
both lost their engines before 50K. One, after the new owner tore it down,
proved to have essentially worn the lobes off of the cam. He theorized that
whatever it was the factory was supposed to do to harden the surface wasn't
done. I knew the person who owned it before I did and both of us took
meticulous care with oil and filter changes and routine maintenance. Guess
it is the luck of the draw.
Old January 29th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

John McGaw wrote:

> Seems almost miraculous to me. The two Ford products I had back in the
> 60s both lost their engines before 50K. One, after the new owner tore it
> down, proved to have essentially worn the lobes off of the cam. He
> theorized that whatever it was the factory was supposed to do to harden
> the surface wasn't done. I knew the person who owned it before I did and
> both of us took meticulous care with oil and filter changes and routine
> maintenance. Guess it is the luck of the draw.

I have to wonder how many times the engine has been rebuilt, number of
tranny replacements/rebuilds, number of radiators, etc.......

Pat
Old January 29th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> John McGaw wrote:
>
>> Seems almost miraculous to me. The two Ford products I had back in
>> the 60s both lost their engines before 50K. One, after the new owner
>> tore it down, proved to have essentially worn the lobes off of the
>> cam. He theorized that whatever it was the factory was supposed to
>> do to harden the surface wasn't done. I knew the person who owned it
>> before I did and both of us took meticulous care with oil and filter
>> changes and routine maintenance. Guess it is the luck of the draw.

> I have to wonder how many times the engine has been rebuilt, number of
> tranny replacements/rebuilds, number of radiators, etc.......
>
> Pat

Yes. I suppose an eccentric person with enough money can keep their car
running virtually forever.

Old January 29th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:

> Yes. I suppose an eccentric person with enough money can keep their car
> running virtually forever.

The most eccentric car owners I have run into have usually been Miata
owners. :-)

Pat

Awesome [email protected] VW water cooled 0 June 15th 07 08:12 AM
Awesome [email protected] Honda 0 June 8th 07 03:06 AM
Awesome [email protected] Honda 0 June 7th 07 07:21 AM
FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 03:18 PM