CV Joint on a 88 stang?

Old February 26th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default CV Joint on a 88 stang?

Whats up mustang lovers! MY '88 5.0 had some clunking noise from the front
end sometimes when you turn. I felt like this whas a CV joint problem so I
got under it today and took a couple pics for you.

The first picture is the CV joint on the passenger side, i think it looks
pretty good.
http://tgaraid.com/108_2830.JPG

This is the CV Joint on the drivers side...
http://tgaraid.com/108_2831.JPG

I could not find any cracks in the boot and it looks to be in good condition
(couldnt see the backside of it). But I'm guess that grease all over
everything is the grease that used to be inside the CV Boot.

Has anyone ever installed the quick boot? I'm assuming that its pretty easy
to install with ordinary tools? I've never done a CV quick boot install,
but in the past I have installed a vortec A-trim, starter, alternator,
rotors, etc.

Here is an autozone page on checking your CV boot:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8004d0c7.jsp

And here is a page on replacing the boot:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8004d0d7.jsp

If anyone has any instructions specific to stangs that would be awesome!
Thanks for any input!

--Cameron

Old February 26th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

All 'Stangs are rear wheel drive, and IIRC, the only rears availible in '88
were solid axles. The boots you are seeing are part of your steering rack.
The clunking noises you hear may be your ball joints, wheel bearings, or a
bushing or two in the front end.

Block the rear wheels, jack up the front end, support it with stands on the
'frame' rails, and wiggle each tire back and forth (left to right), and up
and down (top to bottom). You should have little to no play.

Many tire shops offer a free front end check, that is probably your best
bet.

HTH

Carl

Old February 26th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Cameron" > wrote in message
> Whats up mustang lovers! MY '88 5.0 had some clunking noise from the
> front end sometimes when you turn. I felt like this whas a CV joint
> problem so I got under it today and took a couple pics for you.

No such thing as a CV joint on a Mustang. Never was. CV joints are used on
FWD vehicles, not RWD.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

Old February 26th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Well I sure feel silly! The CV Joint that I've had go back before was in a
front wheel drive car.

I'll try the things you sugguest and probably go with the free front end
check. The only thing I hate about those free checks is they tend to blow
everything out of porportion. I never know which of the fifty things they
say are wrong, are really wrong.

Thanks!

Old February 26th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Blue Mesteno" > wrote in message

> "Cameron" > wrote in message
> > Whats up mustang lovers! MY '88 5.0 had some clunking noise from the
> > front end sometimes when you turn. I felt like this whas a CV joint
> > problem so I got under it today and took a couple pics for you.

> No such thing as a CV joint on a Mustang. Never was. CV joints are used on
> FWD vehicles, not RWD.
> --
> Scott W.

The pictures are the rubber boots on the steering rack.

Al

Old February 26th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Any idea why the one side has hardened grease all over it? It's not fresh
grease, I could barely scrape it off with my fingernail.

Old February 26th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Blue Mesteno wrote:

> "Cameron" > wrote in message
>> Whats up mustang lovers! MY '88 5.0 had some clunking noise from the
>> front end sometimes when you turn. I felt like this whas a CV joint
>> problem so I got under it today and took a couple pics for you.

> No such thing as a CV joint on a Mustang. Never was. CV joints are used on
> FWD vehicles, not RWD.

RWD vehicles with IRS on the other hand....

Old February 26th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The drivers side of the rack looks like that from not cleaning off the oil
good enough during oil changes. The oil filter is located above that area
and oil runs down when changing the filter. The dirt sticks to the oil and
over time it builds up and hardens.

Old March 1st 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Cool, be sure to let us know if your problem has been fixed!
(It really helps when someone else asks a similiar question).

Carl

.. .

Old March 2nd 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Good news, the car is rock solid now! It drives like it should, not a sound
or a rattle coming from the front.

Since I got the car I didnt understand why it seemed to have about 30% less
pickup and power than my old stock 93 mustang, but now that the link pin is
fixed it seems to have regained all that pickup and power. That makes me
wonder if my wheel was wobling so bad that it was slowing me down?

Anyways all is fixed and its great! However I saw a few drops of antifreeze
on my garage floor that I have never seen before. I wonder if they worked
my water pump over with an ice pick to stick it to me.

Can someone give me the definition and use of a "link pin".

Thanks!

"Carl" > wrote in message
> Cool, be sure to let us know if your problem has been fixed!
> (It really helps when someone else asks a similiar question).
>
> Carl

OT?: mechanic leaves ball joint bolt lose, & non-crimped wheel nut Dugie Driving 2 September 13th 05 05:34 AM
Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
How to take ball joint out of Knuckle [email protected] Honda 2 May 19th 05 07:03 PM
96 Sentra: Need help on replacing cv joint boot Al Kondo Technology 0 April 9th 05 01:23 AM
1997 Honda Civic: Axle and Lower Ball Joint Replacement Notes Backpacker Honda 2 November 18th 04 02:52 AM