Problem starting 530d (2001)

Old January 13th 05, 03:08 PM
Griff

Default Problem starting 530d (2001)

I have a 530d that has problems starting sometimes.

This has happened a few times recently, particularly when I have
recently been driving it (i.e., up to 1 hour before hand).

I have had it checked by a mechanic but it does not show any faults
registered using the BMW diagnostic tool. The "glow plugs" (or
whatever they're called) report that they are fine.

I understand that older models had problems with a "porous" fuel line
when the tank was getting low - this is occuring with a full tank.

I've not got the car started if I leave the ignition on and
continually attempt to restart. I've only got it to start if I
completely switch off and wait a few seconds; I'm aware that this
could of course be a red-herring.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Griff
Old January 14th 05, 06:57 AM
Peter Bozz

> I have a 530d that has problems starting sometimes.
>
> This has happened a few times recently, particularly when I have
> recently been driving it (i.e., up to 1 hour before hand).
>
> I have had it checked by a mechanic but it does not show any faults
> registered using the BMW diagnostic tool. The "glow plugs" (or
> whatever they're called) report that they are fine.
>
> I understand that older models had problems with a "porous" fuel line
> when the tank was getting low - this is occuring with a full tank.
>
> I've not got the car started if I leave the ignition on and
> continually attempt to restart. I've only got it to start if I
> completely switch off and wait a few seconds; I'm aware that this
> could of course be a red-herring.

Were you able to start the car with the ignition on prior to this
problem appearing? Or is it really a new issue?

This is what I have on my car (325TDS): I noticed that once the engine
is hot and I have turned it off (for example at a gas station), it
sometimes refuses to crank *but only* if I insert the key in the slot
and turn it all the way to the crank position in a single quick
movement. I get around this now by inserting the key, turning it twice
to the "glow" position (even though no pre-heating is required, but
still), waiting for about one second, and then cranking. Always works.
I've convinced myself that this probably has to do with the timing cycle
of the fuel pump relay injector glow plug actuator and have never given
it any further thought. :-)

Maybe yours is the same issue, even though mine car is an old battered
'97 325TDS with about 200,000 miles under its belt.

Good luck.
Old January 15th 05, 01:30 PM

Peter Bozz wrote:
> Were you able to start the car with the ignition on prior to this
> problem appearing? Or is it really a new issue?

New problem unfortunately. Usual practice is as follows: Switch on
ignition until glow indicator disappears and then turn to start the
starter motor.

Occasionally, the starter motor just turns and turns....no sign of it
catching.

Griff

Old February 7th 05, 09:15 AM
Griff

Problem more acute now and mechanic still as stumped.

If I drive a long journey and the engine remains hot for > 30 minutes
then if I stop the engine then I can't get it started until it's
completely cold.

Getting desparate as it means that I can drive it to work and home
again in the evening, but can't use it more often than that....
Old February 7th 05, 09:56 AM
Badger

"Griff" > wrote in message
om...
> Problem more acute now and mechanic still as stumped.
>
> If I drive a long journey and the engine remains hot for > 30 minutes
> then if I stop the engine then I can't get it started until it's
> completely cold.
>
> Getting desparate as it means that I can drive it to work and home
> again in the evening, but can't use it more often than that....

Just a thought, has it been chipped or got some form of tuning box on it? A
friend had intermittent hot starting on a 530d, turned out it was the
piggy-back ecu tuning box that was fitted to it.
Badger.