Phatbox questions

Old February 25th 05, 05:55 PM

Default Phatbox questions

Couple of questions about the Phatbox.

I have a 2000 Passat wagon, is the Phatbox plug and play for the user, with
no dealer intervention required?

At http://drivergear.vw.com/store/acces...roduct_id=2766 it says
"Installation Kit, ZVW269300, is required and can be purchased through your
local Volkswagen dealership." Is this separate gear additional to the
Phatbox (bloody thing's expensive enough)? What does it consist of?

My Passat has 80,000 miles, so thinking ahead, can a Phatbox purchased for
a Passt be moved to another vehicle? I see Phatnoise lists a number of cars
they provide for, are those boxes different from the VW one? Can the
Phatbox be hooked into anything NOT listed there?

Finally, is there a better alternative to the Phatbox? Cheaper, more
universal?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 25th 05, 07:35 PM
YYZedd

> wrote in message news:zMITd.12936$QQ3.441@trnddc02...

> Finally, is there a better alternative to the Phatbox? Cheaper, more
> universal?

Yes, Ipod.

Old February 25th 05, 10:51 PM
Tony Bad

"YYZedd" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> > wrote in message news:zMITd.12936$QQ3.441@trnddc02...
>
> > Finally, is there a better alternative to the Phatbox? Cheaper, more
> > universal?

> Yes, Ipod.

How do you have your Ipod hooked to your sound system in the car? What are
the best/easiest options?

Old February 25th 05, 10:59 PM
YYZedd

"Tony Bad" > wrote in message

> "YYZedd" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > > wrote in message news:zMITd.12936$QQ3.441@trnddc02...
> >
> > > Finally, is there a better alternative to the Phatbox? Cheaper, more
> > > universal?

> > Yes, Ipod.
> >

> How do you have your Ipod hooked to your sound system in the car? What are
> the best/easiest options?

I have actually only had my ipod for a couple of weeks. So far I have only
tried the itrip, which plays over FM radio. Its ok, but not great. There are
lots of options out there. Some reviews are he

http://ipodlounge.com/

Old February 25th 05, 11:00 PM
SteveH

Tony Bad > wrote:

> "YYZedd" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > > wrote in message news:zMITd.12936$QQ3.441@trnddc02...
> >
> > > Finally, is there a better alternative to the Phatbox? Cheaper, more
> > > universal?

> > Yes, Ipod.
> >

> How do you have your Ipod hooked to your sound system in the car? What are
> the best/easiest options?

Depending on the model of car and headunit fitted, the Dension Icelink
is the best way to do it.

However, be aware it doesn't work with a Philips made Gamma unit. Even
Dension themselves didn't know that.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old February 26th 05, 01:52 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

Yes, it's plug and play. The installation kit is a set of brackets to bolt it in the car, I believe I paid about $7.00 for them.