Questions, questions, questions

Old January 14th 05, 01:38 AM
Vernon Balbert

Default Questions, questions, questions

Okay, I've read about SMG and know that it stands for Sequential Manual
Gearshift (or so I've read) but what exactly IS SMG?

Also, why is it that in the 7 series if the engine is a 4 liter or less
it's called the 7xxiL but if the engine is 4.5 liters or bigger it's
called the 7xxLi?

Vern
Old January 14th 05, 02:53 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Vernon Balbert" > wrote
> Okay, I've read about SMG and know that it stands for Sequential Manual
> Gearshift (or so I've read) but what exactly IS SMG?

It's a manual transmission equipped with electronic and hydraulic clutch
and controls to shift in automatic or driver-commanded modes. You shift
up and down using paddles or the shift lever (ala F1). If you've ever
ridden a motorcycle, that's a good example.

> Also, why is it that in the 7 series if the engine is a 4 liter or less
> it's called the 7xxiL but if the engine is 4.5 liters or bigger it's
> called the 7xxLi?

Just BMW changing their numerology. My '01 330xi is AWD, as
the '89 325iX. They're just trying to be consistent, and not succeeding.

Floyd
Old January 14th 05, 03:08 AM
GRL

Doesn't it stand for "Sure wish t'was a Manual Gear-box"?

- GRL

news

Old January 14th 05, 05:02 AM
Jim Levie

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:08:18 -0500, GRL wrote:

> Doesn't it stand for "Sure wish t'was a Manual Gear-box"?

Not for me. I like an SMG and I wish I had a 530 with one. They do take a
bit of getting used to and it is a different skill set from a manual or
Selectronic.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old January 14th 05, 06:59 AM
TonyK

"GRL" > wrote in message
> Doesn't it stand for "Sure wish t'was a Manual Gear-box"?
>
> - GRL

It might to those who can't handle it properly :-o

Old January 14th 05, 09:31 AM

fbloogyudsr wrote:

> It's a manual transmission equipped with electronic and hydraulic

clutch
> and controls to shift in automatic or driver-commanded modes. You

shift
> up and down using paddles or the shift lever (ala F1). If you've

ever
> ridden a motorcycle, that's a good example.

....except motorcycles have a clutch and a proper sequential gearbox.

Old January 14th 05, 04:41 PM
The Malt Hound

http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0208_trans03/

Old January 14th 05, 07:37 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jim Levie > wrote:
> Not for me. I like an SMG and I wish I had a 530 with one. They do take a
> bit of getting used to and it is a different skill set from a manual or
> Selectronic.

Why would you want a jerky gear change on a luxury car?

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 14th 05, 07:58 PM
Jeff Strickland

SMG is a shift pattern similar to a motorcycle. On a bike, the rider pulls
or pushes the lever (depending on if he wants the next higher gear, or a
lower gear) one "click". When the lever is move once, the gear selection
changes by one, and the shifter returns to the center. In a "standard"
transmission, the shifter must be moved from any gear into Neutral, then to
the left or right, then into the next gear, either higher or lower. In an
SMG, the shift lever has three positions, center, the upshift position, and
the down shift position. There are no gates to move sideways through. The
SMG is very quick in its gear changes. Some drivers find it difficult to
adjust to, others take to it like a fish to water.

Your question on the 7 Series, the Li and the iL, one of them is a stretched
version.

Old January 15th 05, 01:15 AM
GRL

Silly me. And here I thought that anyone who can properly manage a
clutch and manual gear-box would have no trouble with pressing buttons
to shift gears while their left foot falls asleep.

Thanks for the correction.

TonyK wrote:
> "GRL" > wrote in message
>
>>Doesn't it stand for "Sure wish t'was a Manual Gear-box"?
>>
>>- GRL
>>

> It might to those who can't handle it properly :-o

First BMW - 318iS - few questions? Kevin Rhodes BMW 5 November 16th 04 10:02 PM
E36 Wheels and Suspension questions Jim P. BMW 4 November 11th 04 05:35 PM
2001 740I(L) Questions FSJ BMW 3 October 6th 04 11:59 AM
E34 M20 - coupla questions Jamie Fisher BMW 2 September 21st 04 12:01 PM
Some more newbie questions Ypnos Alfa Romeo 7 June 23rd 04 10:35 AM