'99 Civic vs Accord

Old May 3rd 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '99 Civic vs Accord

I am thinking about a '98-99 Civic or Accord. What are their pros/cons

Civic appears to be easier to service with more room in the engine bay.
That is important.
Is the VTEC technology reliable long term? What years did not have it?

Accord is bigger and more expensive but is it more refined and higher
quality?

Old May 3rd 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article .com>, "SQ"
> wrote:

> I am thinking about a '98-99 Civic or Accord. What are their pros/cons
>
> Civic appears to be easier to service with more room in the engine bay.
> That is important.
> Is the VTEC technology reliable long term? What years did not have it?
>
> Accord is bigger and more expensive but is it more refined and higher
> quality?

The Civic get more MPG. Since gas prices are so high--that would would
be one of the main reasons to buy the Civic.

I own a 99 Accord and I love it. The main reason that I would prefer
the Accord is the extra power that it has. I like having the extra
power when I try to get on the freeway or interstate highways.
I also like the exta power that is has when I go up a mountain. If you
have a family, the extra room in the Accord is something to consider.

The 4 cyld. Accord has plenty of room under the hood and it's much
easier to service than the 6 cyld. Accord.

The VTEC technology is very reliable long term. I know that my 99 Accord
has VTEC technology but don't know for sure whether or not the Civic
has it--it's my guess that it does has it. The 98 Accord also has it.
If it does has it, it should have VTEC written on top of the engine.

You may want to do a google search on 1999 Accord and another one for
1999 Civic.

You should get the Ex model since is has more accessories.

Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old May 3rd 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 3 May 2006 11:07:15 -0700, "SQ" > wrote:

>I am thinking about a '98-99 Civic or Accord. What are their pros/cons
>
>Civic appears to be easier to service with more room in the engine bay.
>That is important.
>Is the VTEC technology reliable long term? What years did not have it?
>
>Accord is bigger and more expensive but is it more refined and higher
>quality?

There is no essential difference in quality. Both are good cars.
Depends on whether you want a compact or a mid-size car. The ride in
an Accord on a long trip is much different and more comfortable than
the Civic. I owned a '99 Accord and have driven the Civic. I could
live with the Civic if I used it mostly in a city. On the road, I
would really miss the comfort of the Accord. I have a '03 Accord now
and the '99 was actually a more comfortable car to ride in. Wouldn't
trade them though. Love the '03.

Dick
Old May 3rd 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Also, should add that I am only considering 5-spd

mpg is very important of course.

What are some real-life examples of MPG between civic/accord on all
highway driving?

Old May 4th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article .com>, "SQ"
> wrote:

> Also, should add that I am only considering 5-spd
>
> mpg is very important of course.
>
> What are some real-life examples of MPG between civic/accord on all
> highway driving?

The official MPG for a 1999 Accord is 23 mpg city and 30 mpg highway.
That's about what I get on my car. It's the same for a 1998 Accord.

I don't know what the MPG for the civic is but I know that it's much
better than it is for the Accord. You may be able to find out at this site:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feq/findacar.htm

The mpg for a 2006 Civic are below--it's my guess that the mpg for the 99 Civic
would be similar;

5 speed Manual Civic 2006 is 30 mpg city and 38 mpg highway.
5 speed Manual Fit 2006 is 33 mpg city and 38 mpg highway.