2004 Civic DX Stock 185/70R14 - How will 215/50R16 look? Wheel gap?

Old September 29th 04, 04:58 AM

Default 2004 Civic DX Stock 185/70R14 - How will 215/50R16 look? Wheel gap?

Thinking of switching out my stock 14" rims with 215/50R16 rubber /
rims...

Will it look like I am driving a 4x4 with massive wheel back? Or will
the look be very close to stock (as far as visual wheel gap looks)...

I don't want to lower this thing...

Possibly a 195/60R15 setup would be better?

If anyone can help please let me know.

Thanks!
Old September 29th 04, 05:51 PM
ravelation

>Thinking of switching out my stock 14"
>rims with 215/50R16 rubber / rims...

Your car will look much better.

>Will it look like I am driving a 4x4 with
>massive wheel back? Or will the look be
>very close to stock (as far as visual
>wheel gap looks)...

Don't know about that width. Check
www.tirerack.com to see exactly what
size you'd need. A 205 might do you better if you don't want the tires
sticking out of the wheel well.

>I don't want to lower this thing...

Good. My son lowered his and it cost $$$ to change the alignment so the
car would quit eating tires.

>Possibly a 195/60R15 setup would be
>better?

It will provide a better look than what's currently on there, but not as
good as the 16s will. Don't go to 17" as the ride suffers too much, IMO.

>If anyone can help please let me know.
>Thanks!

I like the looks of bigger wheels, but anyone reading and contemplating
the switch needs to bear in mind there's a huge tradeoff in ride quality
with the larger wheel, smaller side wall tire. You 'feel' each nuance in
the road. Some people like that. Others don't.

We bought our new TL with the 18s instead of the stock 17s and there's a
definite difference in the way you feel the bumps and ruts in the road.
What was it Fernando used to say?....

It is better to Look Good than to Feel Good, Dahling.

Definitely get those 14s changed out. You'll be so much happier with the
look. Your car will get some personality!

Old September 30th 04, 02:18 AM
SoCalMike

ravelation wrote:
> Definitely get those 14s changed out. You'll be so much happier with the
> look. Your car will get some personality!

oh, feh. my car got a personality transplant just from switching the
FR680s for BFG tourings in a +1 size. the 195/60 vs stock 185/65 made
the difference between squealing up freeway onranps, and just smoothly
sticking.

and i dont have to worry about people liking my wheels personality
enough to make it their own

anybody considering relatively high priced mods like that might want to
consider claiming them to their insurance company... if they want to be
covered.
Old October 2nd 04, 12:20 AM
Pete

> wrote
> Thinking of switching out my stock 14" rims with 215/50R16 rubber /
> rims...
>
> Will it look like I am driving a 4x4 with massive wheel back? Or will
> the look be very close to stock (as far as visual wheel gap looks)...

I guess optical illusion will make the wheel gap look a little worse,
but it shouldn't be too terrible.

And I think 205/50/16 would be a more correct size to stay as close as
possible to OEM diameter. I'm guessing you want 215 to fill that wheel
gap a little more, but you really don't want to go too wide - the extra
weight of rims and tires as well as higher rolling resistance is going
to kill your acceleration on a small engine like yours.

> I don't want to lower this thing...
>
> Possibly a 195/60R15 setup would be better?

That would work, too, but if you're upgrading, you might as well make a
noticeable difference and go with 16s. Of course ride quality will
suffer with 205/50 tires, so if the roads in your area aren't too good,
you may want to think twice.

Cheers,

Pete