Is it worth it?

Old February 27th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

Default Is it worth it?

Find yourself a newer XJ with the 4.0L HO. In the long run you'll be
happier with the engine and you'll need to fix a lot fewer things to get
it on the road.

Old February 27th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jerryg

On Feb 26, 9:46 pm, The Merg > wrote:
> Find yourself a newer XJ with the 4.0L HO. In the long run you'll be
> happier with the engine and you'll need to fix a lot fewer things to get
> it on the road.
>

> jerryg wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 9:31 pm, "Carl S" > wrote:
> >> Sell me the lift :-D

> >> Carl

> >> "jerryg" > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> legroups.com...> On Feb 26,

> > I think I am going to take the wheels and get rid of the rest. Does it
> > sound like its worth repairing? I can send pics.

> > Greg- Hide quoted text -

What do ya suppose I could get for the engine. 2.5l. It has fewer than
25k on a new long block. $250.00?

Greg

Old February 27th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

I would hope you could get more than that - I paid $600 for a junkyard
2.5L for my '93 Wrangler.
But, then again, the 2.5 for the '86 was TBI, not MPI, so I don't really
know.
For comparison, JC Whitney sells the MPI 2.5L new for $2500. Apples to
oranges, really, though.
Do you have any info on how much the motor was new?

Old February 27th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jerryg

On Feb 26, 10:39 pm, The Merg > wrote:
> I would hope you could get more than that - I paid $600 for a junkyard
> 2.5L for my '93 Wrangler.
> But, then again, the 2.5 for the '86 was TBI, not MPI, so I don't really
> know.
> For comparison, JC Whitney sells the MPI 2.5L new for $2500. Apples to
> oranges, really, though.
> Do you have any info on how much the motor was new?
>

> jerryg wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 9:46 pm, The Merg > wrote:
> >> Find yourself a newer XJ with the 4.0L HO. In the long run you'll be
> >> happier with the engine and you'll need to fix a lot fewer things to get
> >> it on the road.

> groups.com...
> oglegroups.com...> On Feb 26,

> > What do ya suppose I could get for the engine. 2.5l. It has fewer than
> > 25k on a new long block. $250.00?

> > Greg- Hide quoted text -

No I bought the whole vehicle. Engine already installed. No info
regarding that. I did not realize that the underside was shot. It has
a new set of BFG 30x9.5 all terrains that I am going to take. Also got
a full set of factory manuals with it. I think I'm going to part it
out. Axles are good, trans is good, xfer case is good. Hopefully I can
recoup some of the 900.00 I paid for it!! It is too bad cause the body
is in great shape. It looks really nice.

Thanks,

Greg

Old February 27th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

Heh, the engines probably cost about the same. But on the other hand anyone
who needs one, needs it for an '86 more or less Cherokee and they are the
sort of person who owns a twenty year old vehicle like this, that is to say
broke.

The vehicle is probably fixable, but if you know enough welding to fix it,
you wouldn't be messing with a vehicle that old. You would be employed as a
welder, eh?

Earle

wrote:
> [...]

Feb 26,

Old February 27th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

Jerry,

Are you interested in selling me the springs?

Carl

oups.com...

Old February 27th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

I'm going to venture a guess that a lot of the $900 price tag was this
guy trying to pass along the cost of the recently replaced engine.

FWIW, I bought my '92 XJ for $500, but the guy (a professional used-car
flipper) said he would have been able to sell it for $2500 had he taken
the time to fix a few small issues, like the steering column and PS pump.
That's not exactly typical, but it's a good example of how little things
can greatly increase a used-car's value.
All that said, if you part it out, motor to axles, you'll probably end
up making money in the deal. You'll be out some time, but chalk it up
as a learning experience.
To answer the original question, I'd think $400-500 would be a
reasonable price for the motor.

Old February 27th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

People like Snow here believe it's worth the work, just remember to
brace the chassis before you weld or your doors will not close:
http://www.billhughes.com/snowXJ/
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0

oups.com...

Old February 27th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Snow

Hey that floor out lasted the rest of the JeeP. When I got rid of it
last summer both rockers were missing, gas tank couldn't more then
about 2 litres, all four shocks were toast, one rear leaf was cracked.

As long as you live in a place where you don't have to do an annual
safety as part of the smog testing, then yes I think it worth it, but
it also depends on the condition of the rest of the vehicle. In the
case I would do it even with it only having a 4 banger.

Snow...

Old February 27th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tom Greening

jerryg wrote:

> No I bought the whole vehicle. Engine already installed. No info
> regarding that. I did not realize that the underside was shot. It has
> a new set of BFG 30x9.5 all terrains that I am going to take. Also got
> a full set of factory manuals with it. I think I'm going to part it
> out. Axles are good, trans is good, xfer case is good. Hopefully I can
> recoup some of the 900.00 I paid for it!! It is too bad cause the body
> is in great shape. It looks really nice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

What I'd look at is the average retail cost of an XJ like you have that
does NOT have a rotted floor. If it's considerably more just weld in
the new floor and either drive it like you intended or sell it and make
some money.

I bought a '94 with a "cracked head" that turned out to be a leaky water
pump for $450. The floor was gone from firewall to back bumper but I
bought a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge, cut it all out with a hand grinder and
welded it in my self-cut floor panels. Some primer, paint, and
undercoat and it's good to go body wise. All told I've got about
$1100.00 in it including new tires, factory rims, radiator, A/C
compressor, shocks, brakes, misc. etcs. I did all the labor but the
mechanicals were the easiest parts. The floor pan wasn't all that hard
but it was the most time consuming.

It all depends on what you want to do with it and how much of your time
and effort you can afford to invest.