Aftermarket Rear Defroster for minivan

Old February 9th 05, 10:06 PM
BeeP

Default Aftermarket Rear Defroster for minivan

Anyone out there know of a source for an aftermarket rear window
defroster?
My new-to-me 80s Voyager was equipped with one, which needs to be
replaced. About half the heater lines are missing or detached, and of
those remaining, only one heats up.
[I do not want to go thru the trouble of getting a liftgate from the
junkyard that already has factory window defroster glass.]
Suggestions appreciated.
TIA
Bob
85 Voy LE

Old February 9th 05, 10:31 PM
David

"BeeP" > wrote in message
> Anyone out there know of a source for an aftermarket rear window
> defroster?
> My new-to-me 80s Voyager was equipped with one, which needs to be
> replaced. About half the heater lines are missing or detached, and of
> those remaining, only one heats up.
> [I do not want to go thru the trouble of getting a liftgate from the
> junkyard that already has factory window defroster glass.]
> Suggestions appreciated.
> TIA
> Bob
> 85 Voy LE

There is a product out there. I think by Loctite. It is paint for grids on
electric defrosters. You could look closely at the grid lines still
attached, and see were the break is in the grid and use the paint and
re-paint over the grid lines. I do not know off a aftermarket source, for a
complete kit. I would give you mine since I use it maybe twice a year.
Anyway, it is Spring here in Arizona, sorry to rub it in.

Old February 9th 05, 10:38 PM
BeeP

Thanks, and yes you are rubbing it in!
.... As we wait for yet another messy snowstorm here in Mass.
I'll look up close on the gridlines.
The issue might also be where the gridlines connect to side strips.
At any rate it looks like a dog pretty much trashed the system with
its claws on the glass.
Thx Bob

Old February 10th 05, 12:12 AM

There may be more detailed instructions with the repair kits. But
basically you can find the invisible breaks by tracing where the
voltage is on the network(turn the defroster on) by touching the grid
lines with a volt meter probes. If you get about 12 volt difference
between two points then there is a break somewhere between them. There
you apply the conductive glue as directed.
I repaired three breaks in my defroster very successfuly this way.

Rudy

Old February 10th 05, 03:01 AM
Art

There used to be foil kits to apply to glass. They worked but that was a
long time ago.

Old February 11th 05, 12:55 AM
Bill 2

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> There may be more detailed instructions with the repair kits. But
> basically you can find the invisible breaks by tracing where the
> voltage is on the network(turn the defroster on) by touching the grid
> lines with a volt meter probes. If you get about 12 volt difference
> between two points then there is a break somewhere between them. There
> you apply the conductive glue as directed.
> I repaired three breaks in my defroster very successfuly this way.

I used some paint on defroster grid to repair the defroster in one of my
cars. I think the instructions said to only repair a maximum of 2 inches of
grid.

I don't know what (if anything) will happen to defroster performance if you
use more.

flat towing instructions [email protected] Jeep 44 February 7th 05 06:51 AM
Rear Window Defroster Troubles Holophote Technology 4 January 21st 05 04:24 AM
Rear Defroster ACG Honda 3 December 23rd 04 03:58 PM
SL2 Rear Window Defroster not working??? Fuse? eb7g Saturn 2 December 13th 04 03:56 AM