New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

Old July 13th 05, 02:24 AM
Jim Yanik

Doug Warner > wrote in
:

> "David W. Poole, Jr." > wrote:
>

>>As for eating, while I may enjoy smoking, most of the time I don't
>>enjoy it while I'm eating (unless it's waffle house, of course). I
>>usually sit in the non-smoking section of a restaurant, even if I'm
>>dining alone. If I don't enjoy it, why would I expect anyone else to?

> Someone, some time ago wrote: "Having a smoking section in a
> restaurant is like designating a peeing section in a pool."

Daniel J.Stern posted it here today.(7-12-05)

Very appropriate,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 13th 05, 02:31 AM
Jim Yanik

"Larry Bud" > wrote in
oups.com:

> william lynch wrote:

>> > That's just nonsense. "Just as absive"?? Sexual abuse scars
>> > people for life, often leading to suicide, drugs, and to passing
>> > that abuse to their own children.

>> If you knew anything about health, then you would understand that
>> smoking around kids passes on the health problems and risk of
>> future addiction. It's only nonsense to ignorant buffoons.

> Why don't we just throw parents in jail for feeding their kids
> fattening ice cream and potato chips?

It's a matter of degree,and how much exercise the kid gets.
I have seen some kids that parents abused by overfeeding them,like 1 yr
olds weighing 50 lbs or more,and yes,those kids should be taken from their
parents.

> While we're at it, if you don't
> make your kids put any sunscreen on at the beach, or force them to
> wear a helmet while they ride their bikes.
>
> Just throw everyone in jail and let the government take "care" of
> people, since individuals obviously don't know the best way to raise
> their own children, right?

Some people surely do NOT know how to raise their children.
And we see or read of the results of that daily in society.

ISTR that a US judge somewhere actually did rule that a parent could not
smoke in the house or around the children.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 13th 05, 02:34 AM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
>> nk.net:
>>

>>> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> Cite your source of this assertion, please. The bit about the
>>> majority of smokers tossing their butts, that is.
>>>
>>> Cite.

>> "as evidenced by the tremendous number of
>> butts that are found everywhere,far too many to be from a few "bad"
>> smokers,and by many people's observation of them doing it."

> Is that the best you can do? You see a lot of butts lying around,
> therefore the majority of smokers toss their butts?

One can find these cig butts virtually everywhere.
It's also a large problem for water treatment plants.
FAR too many butts for a tiny minority of "bad" smokers.

> This is what they call pretzel logic: twisted with nothing inside and
> no nutritional value except for entertainment value.

Ah,blind denial.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 13th 05, 02:47 AM
Nate Nagel

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Larry Bud" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

>>william lynch wrote:

>>selves.

>>>People who smoke in cars start a lot of fires, dumb****.

>>Then punish the people who start the fires and litter. God forbid we
>>use common sense here, eh?
>>

> That is exactly what prohibiting smoking would do;Punish those who litter
> and start fires;smokers.

Your logic is, um, ****ing retarded.

Why don't we put *you* in jail? After all, all murderers are humans.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old July 13th 05, 02:59 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 13 Jul 2005, Jim Yanik wrote:

> >> What's next? Banning smoking in peoples' houses?

> > If they have kids, yes!

> By his logic,child abuse would be legal if performed on private
> property.

It used to be! Just as spitting tobacco juice or smoking cigarettes used
to be legal everywhere and anywhere. Times change. Smokers will adapt nice
or adapt nasty, but they will adapt.
Old July 13th 05, 03:00 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> I may enjoy smoking

Nope, you're deceived into *thinking* you "enjoy" smoking. What you
misperceive as "enjoyment" is nothing more or less than the relief of
withdrawal symptoms. The cigarette is the marketeer's carefully-created
dream product: it does nothing but cause you to want another one.
Old July 13th 05, 03:33 AM
The Real Bev

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
>
> > I may enjoy smoking

> Nope, you're deceived into *thinking* you "enjoy" smoking. What you
> misperceive as "enjoyment" is nothing more or less than the relief of
> withdrawal symptoms. The cigarette is the marketeer's carefully-created
> dream product: it does nothing but cause you to want another one.

So you've never smoked, then?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 13th 05, 03:37 AM
Beelzebub

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in
.umich.edu:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Beelzebub wrote:
>
>> Smoking is not illegal.

> There are lots of places where smoking is illegal, number one. Bars
> and restaurants and workplaces and public buildings in an increasing
> number of countries, states, provinces, municipalities, etc.
> Airplanes. Public transit vehicles.

Those are all public places; my car is not. Even though I use public
thoroughfares I should still be able to expect a modicum of privacy. Must
we legfislate every single facet of our lives?

> Number two, whether something is legal or illegal doesn't make it good
> or bad.

That's true. I'm not taking a position on whether it is good or bad. I'm
merely saying that we should seriously think about all these feel-good
measures that seem so fashionable among our legislators who seem to all
think they no better than we what is good for us.
Old July 13th 05, 03:40 AM
Beelzebub

"David W. Poole, Jr." > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:37:46 GMT, Beelzebub > was
> understood to have stated the following:
>

>>You can always buy an optional ashtray for about ninety bucks that
>>amounts to something ill-fitting to the console cupholder, you
>>evil-doer. ;-)

> You can buy one that fits in about any cup holder, or hangs well off
> some surfaces, for about $2.50 around here.

I was talking about the ones that are available as an option when one
purchases a vehicle from a dealer. It's just more crap forced down our
throats in the interests of correctness.
Old July 13th 05, 03:43 AM
The Real Bev

"David W. Poole, Jr." wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2005 16:12:15 GMT, Jim Yanik .> was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
> >No,you can't pass the blame like that.
> >Most smokers flick their butts out the window even though they have an
> >ashtray,and that's still NO excuse for emptying their ashtray on the ground
> >anywhere.

> Years ago when a friend of mine and I were out cruising, we stopped at
> a convenience store to get some gas. I asked him to empty the ashtray,
> as he had contributed to filling it, while I filled the gas. I watched
> him dump it on the ground. I told him that if he wanted a ride back to
> his house, he had better make sure all the butts made it into the
> trash can.
>
> >And no excuse for smokers to not provide their own ashtray in cars that
> >don't have one,nor any excuse for smokers to drop butts on the ground when
> >walking.

Long ago it was socially acceptable to drop your butts on the sidewalk.
Polite people stepped on them to put them out. It was also acceptable to drop
your butts on the floor in public buildings, providing they weren't carpeted.
OTOH, dumping your ashtray in the street was definitely boorish, as was
flicking a lit cigarette out the window where it might start a fire or hit a
motorcyclist.

Things are different now, but people get awfully uptight about smoking and
smokers all out of proportion to the "damage" they cause.