Back to '04 V6 Accord Ping - Or, Why I do the work myself

Old July 9th 05, 11:11 PM

Default Back to '04 V6 Accord Ping - Or, Why I do the work myself

To follow up, went to the dealer today about the occasional, very light
pinging on moderately hard acceleration. Got useless replies as
expected, and was initially treated like a 6-year-old.

It quickly became apparent that I need to figure out how to check the
computer codes myself, or waste a day at the stealer while they likely
find nothing. To them, no code means no problem. And I guess no
warrantable problem means something like $90 for diagnostics, which
they didn't mention. IT WASN'T LIKE THIS in the old days, friends,
when they'd at least apologize for not finding anything and simply send
you on your way.

Is there a manual way to trigger OBDII codes in the Accord as in other
cars? Or do I have to get a code reader? And, where from?

Old July 9th 05, 11:19 PM
Professor

You need a scan tool. I bought one years ago and it has paid for itself
many times. Mine has always worked well. You can see some at
http://www.actron.com/

Professor
Check out FlashAlert at www.telstar-electronics.com

Old July 10th 05, 04:28 AM
Steven L Umbach

I would find that unacceptable. Try talking to the service manager and if
you are not satisfied contact Honda customer relations and ask him if he has
the phone number. A 2004 should not be pinging unless you are getting really
low quality gas. My 2004 V6 runs fine on regular gas wherever I buy it. I
personally would not mess with a car under warrant unless it is something
really basic. I would guess that maybe there is a problem with a sensor.
You should at least give customer relations a try. I can't believe they
charged you $90. --- Steve

http://automobiles.honda.com/info/cu..._relations.asp --- American
Honda customer relations.

oups.com...

Old July 11th 05, 01:29 AM
Yes

On 9 Jul 2005 15:19:47 -0700, "Professor" >
wrote:

>You need a scan tool. I bought one years ago and it has paid for itself
>many times. Mine has always worked well. You can see some at
>http://www.actron.com/

isn't there a computer program that can read that information using a
laptop ?

yesno

Old July 11th 05, 03:46 AM

No, they didn't charge me, and in fact they didn't do anything other
than talk to me. It was a mere 3 hours before close, and I didn't own
the dealership, so they weren't going to look at the car that day. I
was merely predicting some form of shoddy treatment from AutoNation.

I religiously use Chevron gas by the way.

I'll take a look at the links to code readers. Seems like AutoZone or
someone would also loan readers, now that I've thought about it a
while.

Thanks to all.