2007 Camry is an Accord Killer

Old January 11th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2007 Camry is an Accord Killer

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I wanted to see how Toyota dropped the Avalon 3.5 liter V6 into the
> all-new 2007 Camry. The horsepower is down a notch, but the Cary
> probably is making do with regular gas, unlike the Avalon.
>
> The bigger news is how elegant the Camry looks -- it's a cross between
> the G35 and the TL. Could just as easily have been called a Lexus.
>
> A few photos are on the toyota.com website. The official roll-out is
> in March.
>
> Honda engineers must be frantic. I hate to say it, but the new Camry
> somehow makes my '04 Accord look dowdy.

All of this assumes you are looking for tire scorching performance -- and
perhaps indifferent gas mileage. If I buy a sedan, I can't imagine the need
for anything more than Honda's I4. I alternately drive to work an 03 Civic
LX 5 spd and a 01 Prelude 5 spd. The Civic does just fine on I 75 and gets
38-40 mpg. Heck, lets put a "hemi" in the Camry or Accord next.

Old January 11th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I own both a new '06 Avalon and just sold an '05 Accord EX V6 - the new
Camry IS much better looking than the Accord and it's the SAME V6, same HP
(268 hp) as the Avalon. Remember, the HP ratings on all cars dropped (Avalon
from 280 to 268) with the new testing standards last fall. The V6 will run
quite well on regular, as that's all I've used in the Avalon - premium is
required for "maximum performance". There's still a Civic in the garage for
use behind the RV. It does appear the Honda engineers have their work cut
out for the next generation.

Old January 11th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

From what I've read the Accord in '07 won't be much different than the
current model. Seems like Honda's best engineers were working the Civic,
minivan, and pickup truck.

oups.com...

Old January 11th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Art wrote:

> From what I've read the Accord in '07 won't be much different than the
> current model. Seems like Honda's best engineers were working the Civic,
> minivan, and pickup truck.

Honda just gave the Accord a minor restyling for '06. Since the current
Accord came out for 2003, expect the next version for 2008.
Old January 11th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Remember, the HP ratings on all cars dropped (Avalon
> from 280 to 268) with the new testing standards last fall.

I didn't take that into account. In any case, with the extra torque
the 3.5 will provide, the Camry will race away from an Accord from a
stop, that's for sure. Camry will have a SIX speed automatic, as well.

The Camry SE will have a tighter suspension, probably tight like the
Accord but without the jiggling.

Old January 12th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

John Carpenter wrote:
> I own both a new '06 Avalon and just sold an '05 Accord EX V6 - the new
> Camry IS much better looking than the Accord and it's the SAME V6, same HP
> (268 hp) as the Avalon. Remember, the HP ratings on all cars dropped (Avalon
> from 280 to 268) with the new testing standards last fall. The V6 will run
> quite well on regular, as that's all I've used in the Avalon - premium is
> required for "maximum performance". There's still a Civic in the garage for
> use behind the RV. It does appear the Honda engineers have their work cut
> out for the next generation.

wouldnt it also cannibalize sales from the lower end lexuses, as well?
seems a fine line to me between an avalon (stretched camry) and a lexus.

i glanced at the new lexuses at the LA auto show, and i miss the old
IS300/IS300sportback. im weird though.
Old January 12th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Art wrote:
> From what I've read the Accord in '07 won't be much different than the
> current model. Seems like Honda's best engineers were working the Civic,
> minivan, and pickup truck.

the civic looks much improved, the minivan is equalled only byt he
sienna, and the "truck"...? well, 2 out of 3 aint bad!

has a ridgeline run at baja yet?