Odd headlight problem

Old July 24th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Default Odd headlight problem

"brianlanning" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ever since I was a poor college kid, I've been fixing my own cars.
> This has turned out to be a priceless skill that I plan to teach to my
> children. In all these years, I've seen some strange stuff, like my
> mustang that would run great, but only for five minutes at a time, or
> my suburban with the disappearing coolant, or my old olds that would
> diesel for up to 30 seconds after turning it off, getting out, locking
> the door, and walking away.
>
> But yesterday, my 94 dodge caravan had a problem I've never seen
> before. I decided to get around to fixing the burnt out headlight.
> When I removed the old bulb, water poured out of the headlight. I had
> to remove it to empty the rest of the water. It was completely full.
> I figure there was a crack in the top of the headlight, and the shape
> of the car, or wind, funneled rain water right into it. I taped it up
> to seal it. We'll see if that fixes it.
>
> brian

Drill a small hole in the bottom of both corners on the headlight to drain
it and keep it drained

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 24th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

maxpower wrote:
> "brianlanning" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Ever since I was a poor college kid, I've been fixing my own cars.
>> This has turned out to be a priceless skill that I plan to teach to my
>> children. In all these years, I've seen some strange stuff, like my
>> mustang that would run great, but only for five minutes at a time, or
>> my suburban with the disappearing coolant, or my old olds that would
>> diesel for up to 30 seconds after turning it off, getting out, locking
>> the door, and walking away.
>>
>> But yesterday, my 94 dodge caravan had a problem I've never seen
>> before. I decided to get around to fixing the burnt out headlight.
>> When I removed the old bulb, water poured out of the headlight. I had
>> to remove it to empty the rest of the water. It was completely full.
>> I figure there was a crack in the top of the headlight, and the shape
>> of the car, or wind, funneled rain water right into it. I taped it up
>> to seal it. We'll see if that fixes it.
>>
>> brian
>>

> Drill a small hole in the bottom of both corners on the headlight to drain
> it and keep it drained
>

> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Hi Glenn...

Not about to try telling a professional anything at all, but just in
case you were somehow unaware of it...

Chrysler makes a "vent" for some headlights. My neighbor loves the
early 90's models; they were wet inside after every durned rain.

The part number is 4805147, the description line reads "spord tube",
and they sell for 6.20 at the dealer. Not in stock (at least here in
Winnipeg), but they're happy to order them for you.

Take care.

Ken
Old July 24th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

brianlanning wrote:
> Ever since I was a poor college kid, I've been fixing my own cars.
> This has turned out to be a priceless skill that I plan to teach to my
> children. In all these years, I've seen some strange stuff, like my
> mustang that would run great, but only for five minutes at a time, or
> my suburban with the disappearing coolant, or my old olds that would
> diesel for up to 30 seconds after turning it off, getting out, locking
> the door, and walking away.
>
> But yesterday, my 94 dodge caravan had a problem I've never seen
> before. I decided to get around to fixing the burnt out headlight.
> When I removed the old bulb, water poured out of the headlight. I had
> to remove it to empty the rest of the water. It was completely full.
> I figure there was a crack in the top of the headlight, and the shape
> of the car, or wind, funneled rain water right into it. I taped it up
> to seal it. We'll see if that fixes it.
>
> brian

I had a similar situation. The seal between the lens and the housing
failed, allowing moist air to enter. Chrysler wanted $75 for a new
assembly, so I bought an aftermarket unit for less than half the cost.
So far, it seems to be working fine. All of the little tabs and notches
lined up perfectly.

-KM

Old July 24th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
> > "brianlanning" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >> Ever since I was a poor college kid, I've been fixing my own cars.
> >> This has turned out to be a priceless skill that I plan to teach to my
> >> children. In all these years, I've seen some strange stuff, like my
> >> mustang that would run great, but only for five minutes at a time, or
> >> my suburban with the disappearing coolant, or my old olds that would
> >> diesel for up to 30 seconds after turning it off, getting out, locking
> >> the door, and walking away.
> >>
> >> But yesterday, my 94 dodge caravan had a problem I've never seen
> >> before. I decided to get around to fixing the burnt out headlight.
> >> When I removed the old bulb, water poured out of the headlight. I had
> >> to remove it to empty the rest of the water. It was completely full.
> >> I figure there was a crack in the top of the headlight, and the shape
> >> of the car, or wind, funneled rain water right into it. I taped it up
> >> to seal it. We'll see if that fixes it.
> >>
> >> brian
> >>

> > Drill a small hole in the bottom of both corners on the headlight to

drain
> > it and keep it drained
> >

> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> Hi Glenn...
>
> Not about to try telling a professional anything at all, but just in
> case you were somehow unaware of it...
>
> Chrysler makes a "vent" for some headlights. My neighbor loves the
> early 90's models; they were wet inside after every durned rain.
>
> The part number is 4805147, the description line reads "spord tube",
> and they sell for 6.20 at the dealer. Not in stock (at least here in
> Winnipeg), but they're happy to order them for you.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Shoot, Im always open for new ideas and opinions. Some vehicles have that
vent but I cant say which ones they were. I do know that that part number is
good for 1989 to 2006 vehicles. Anytime you get that much water in a
headlight it is either a crack or a weak seal around the socket seal and no
vent will help.
If you don't want to replace the headlamp assembly your gonna have to drill
small holes in the bottom of the lens to relieve the water or the bulbs will
keep breaking as the lamp fills up. Chrysler issued a TSB on this at one
time but then again I cant remember the year. Boy it stinks to get old!!

Glenn

Old July 25th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

maxpower wrote:
> "Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message
>> maxpower wrote:
>>> "brianlanning" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Drill a small hole in the bottom of both corners on the headlight to

> drain
>>> it and keep it drained
>>>

>>> Glenn Beasley
>>> Chrysler Tech

>> Hi Glenn...
>>
>> Not about to try telling a professional anything at all, but just in
>> case you were somehow unaware of it...
>>
>> Chrysler makes a "vent" for some headlights. My neighbor loves the
>> early 90's models; they were wet inside after every durned rain.
>>
>> The part number is 4805147, the description line reads "spord tube",
>> and they sell for 6.20 at the dealer. Not in stock (at least here in
>> Winnipeg), but they're happy to order them for you.
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> Ken

> Shoot, Im always open for new ideas and opinions. Some vehicles have that
> vent but I cant say which ones they were. I do know that that part number is
> good for 1989 to 2006 vehicles. Anytime you get that much water in a
> headlight it is either a crack or a weak seal around the socket seal and no
> vent will help.
> If you don't want to replace the headlamp assembly your gonna have to drill
> small holes in the bottom of the lens to relieve the water or the bulbs will
> keep breaking as the lamp fills up. Chrysler issued a TSB on this at one
> time but then again I cant remember the year. Boy it stinks to get old!!
>
> Glenn

Hi Glenn...

As another old guy - stroke victim as well - I sure agree that
it stinks. But we have to think positively, so it's a heck
of a lot better than the alternative

Take care.

Ken

Old July 25th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> maxpower wrote:
> > "Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message

my

locking

had

up

> > drain

> >> Hi Glenn...
> >>
> >> Not about to try telling a professional anything at all, but just in
> >> case you were somehow unaware of it...
> >>
> >> Chrysler makes a "vent" for some headlights. My neighbor loves the
> >> early 90's models; they were wet inside after every durned rain.
> >>
> >> The part number is 4805147, the description line reads "spord tube",
> >> and they sell for 6.20 at the dealer. Not in stock (at least here in
> >> Winnipeg), but they're happy to order them for you.
> >>
> >> Take care.
> >>
> >> Ken

> > Shoot, Im always open for new ideas and opinions. Some vehicles have

that
> > vent but I cant say which ones they were. I do know that that part

number is
> > good for 1989 to 2006 vehicles. Anytime you get that much water in a
> > headlight it is either a crack or a weak seal around the socket seal and

no
> > vent will help.
> > If you don't want to replace the headlamp assembly your gonna have to

drill
> > small holes in the bottom of the lens to relieve the water or the bulbs

will
> > keep breaking as the lamp fills up. Chrysler issued a TSB on this at one
> > time but then again I cant remember the year. Boy it stinks to get old!!
> >
> > Glenn

> Hi Glenn...
>
> As another old guy - stroke victim as well - I sure agree that
> it stinks. But we have to think positively, so it's a heck
> of a lot better than the alternative
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Agreed!!