Straightening an Aluminum wheel

Old December 11th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Straightening an Aluminum wheel

Check the auto junkyards, cash for clunkers wheels.
cuhulin

Old December 11th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
fred

Steve Austin > wrote in
:

>>> and 90 percent of all staticits are made up on the spot. besides
>>> where do you find non radial snow tires these days??? KB
>>>

>> Where there's snow and the temperature goes below zero perhaps? That
>> number comes directly from the companies that do the towing. Accident
>> was perhaps the wrong word - called for a tow truck would be
>> completely accurate.
>>

> How old are these statistics? Did these people call for a tow truck
> on their CB radio?

No, heard it this week on the CBC news as a matter of fact.

Old December 11th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
fred

N8N > wrote in
:

> On Dec 10, 6:25*pm, fred > wrote:
>> Kevin > wrote
>> innews:Xns9CDDA086ED25EkevyNOSPAMneti

> :
>>

>> > fred > wrote
>> > :

> es

>> > completely

>> > * now that sounds more likely * *KB

>> And a virtually trivial difference. Now where's your proof that you
>> can't get snowtires where *you* are?- Hide quoted text -

> Got mine from the Tire Rack... of course they are radials...

Then they're all season radials, *not* snowtires. They're only good for
rain in cool weather at best.

Old December 11th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

fred > wrote in :

> N8N > wrote in
> :
>

>> Got mine from the Tire Rack... of course they are radials...
>>

> Then they're all season radials, *not* snowtires. They're only good for
> rain in cool weather at best.

Tire Rack sells winter tires. All are radials.

<http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index.jsp?camefrom=&fromIndex=true&index=xx>

--
Tegger

Old December 11th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Dec 11, 11:48*am, fred > wrote:
> N8N > wrote :
>

> > On Dec 10, 6:25*pm, fred > wrote:
> >> Kevin > wrote
> >> innews:Xns9CDDA086ED25EkevyNOSPAMneti

> > :

> > es

> >> And a virtually trivial difference. Now where's your proof that you
> >> can't get snowtires where *you* are?

> > Got mine from the Tire Rack... *of course they are radials...

> Then they're all season radials, *not* snowtires. They're only good for
> rain in cool weather at best.

Nope. Dunlop Winter Sport 195/65R15. Apparently sadly now
discontinued in that size.

http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/di...t area=Winter

They work great, BTW, although I do not live in a heavy snow area so I
can't comment on deep loose snow traction. They work fine on slush
and packed snow.

nate
Old December 11th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
fred

Tegger > wrote in
:

> fred > wrote in :
>
>> N8N > wrote in
>>
>> :
>>

>>> Got mine from the Tire Rack... of course they are radials...
>>>

>> Then they're all season radials, *not* snowtires. They're only good
>> for rain in cool weather at best.
>>

> Tire Rack sells winter tires. All are radials.
>
> <http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index...ndex=true&inde
> x=xx>

Ok. Fair enough - as I found after looking at their FAQ. Specifically
the first two questions. There *is* some ambiguity between the terms
winter tires, all season radials and winter radials.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=120

Old December 11th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I wouldn't doubt you can buy winter tires in Miami.
cuhulin

Old December 11th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

I'm not sure how you'd really quantify that, but they do make quite a
difference. (So does having good remaining tread depth.)

Umm. There *is* a common recommendation that in snow country, at a
time in the fall when you start seeing temperatures in the low single
figures C, you should change to your winter tires, but the reasoning
is that you don't want to get pantsed by the season's first big
storm. (You don't want to change too early, or keep them on after the
risk has passed in the spring, because those tread compounds wear very
fast on warm dry roads.) I don't think that's meant as a statement
that a decent all-season radial is no longer doing a good job at
ambient temperatures of 7 /40 F.

> Got mine from the Tire Rack... *of course they are radials...

A Tire Rack article in their "winter" series even states that (other
factors being more or less apples-to-apples) the early radials were
quickly noted for their superiority in winter. Anyway, the point is,
if not truly moot, at least close to it in the US and probably other
industrialized nations. Bias and bias belted tires are still made
-- users include heavy trucks/buses, severe off-roading, certain kinds
of racing, and correct-looking restoration of antique cars -- but
radials have made great inroads in most of those areas and only the
last one is really ironclad.

As for the original question, I'd do a web search and ask some of the
places that specialize in repairing bent or broken alloy rims. It can
be done (depending on the nature and severity of the damage) but it
isn't a job for just anyone. You need a place that has skill and can
look for hidden damage and true it up right.

--Joe

Old December 11th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:

> As for the original question, I'd do a web search and ask some of the
> places that specialize in repairing bent or broken alloy rims. It can
> be done (depending on the nature and severity of the damage) but it
> isn't a job for just anyone. You need a place that has skill and can
> look for hidden damage and true it up right.

I can recommend one (Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge) but as I posted
long ago, if the wheel is still available new for less than $150 or so
it'd probably be best to just buy a whole new wheel. Only reason to
repair an alloy wheel is if it's a discontinued or very expensive wheel.
You won't save any money by repairing an alloy wheel that is still
available for a reasonable price, and you can't repair a wheel *better*
than new.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 11th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

fred > wrote in :

> Ok. Fair enough - as I found after looking at their FAQ. Specifically
> the first two questions. There *is* some ambiguity between the terms
> winter tires, all season radials and winter radials.
>
> http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=120

You do know what "radial" means and refers to, yes?

--
Tegger