Chubby Cheddar on Today: There is no reason to use High Octane gasoline

Old December 4th 09, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_2_]

Default Chubby Cheddar on Today: There is no reason to use High Octane gasoline

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:56:55 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>
>>> Hmmm...NO reason to use premium? Add to that that I have NO fuel related
>>> problems...
>>>

>> Calculate cost per mile to see which is more economical. If the cost is
>> the same or close, go with premium to take advantage of the advanced
>> timing. Note that if you switch back and forth, it takes the computer a
>> tank or two to advance the timing again after it has been retarded on
>> regular.

> Since the price has gone up, and esp when it was hitting $4 a gallon, I
> usually do with all cars what I do with the Supra, and that is one fill
> with 93, and one fill with 89. I keep the tanks relatively full, usually
> right around 3/4 tank when I refill. I'd rather have gas in case I have
> no money, and I know at anytime I can just jump in the car and go.
>
> This usually mean 5-6 gallons of whatever, and every once in a while I run
> the tank down low to get rid of 'old' gas and refill with fresh gas. Since
> the pumps have credit card readers on them, I don't have to drive the
> attendants nuts like I used to do years ago...
>
> This method keeps the octane in the tanks at 91~92.
>
> The Mazda is weird. It got below 3/4 tank, and they had run out of
> Regular, so they were selling 93 at the regular price, so I filled ALL the
> cars, and the Mazda DROPPED 3 MPG!

It is tough to calculate when the fuel is mixed like that although cost per
mile shouldn't be too bad.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old December 4th 09, 10:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:17:43 -0600, Ray O wrote:

>> The Mazda is weird. It got below 3/4 tank, and they had run out of
>> Regular, so they were selling 93 at the regular price, so I filled ALL
>> the cars, and the Mazda DROPPED 3 MPG!
>>

> It is tough to calculate when the fuel is mixed like that although cost
> per mile shouldn't be too bad.

It's generally ten cents difference around here, although there is one gas
station between UMASS and Smith College where the difference is only 5
cents. Guess what they get filled with there!

Old December 4th 09, 10:21 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:16:36 -0600, Ray O wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:56:55 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>>
>>> it takes the computer a
>>> tank or two to advance the timing again after it has been retarded on
>>> regular.

>> What does JSB have to do with the gas I use?
>>

> I'll plead the Fifth...

Make it Crown Royal and I'll be right over!

Old December 4th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:15:46 -0800, G wrote:

> How much ethanol is in the various grades?
>
> In Ontario it varies.
>
> 10 percent ethanol in regular to zero percent in some premium.
>
> Using your figures of around a 10 percent increase in miles per gallon on
> premium and our gas prices, the math doesn't work me and my vehicle,
>
> .$0.24318 per mile on premium.
>
> $0.24027 per mile on regular.
>
> Maybe I will try premium and see if there is an increase that justiifies
> the higher cost.

Hmmm...I always thought they added ethanol to RAISE the octane?!?!

Perhaps (once) I'm wrong. Anyone know for sure?

BTW, they do this in Vermont also. In Mass., ALL gasoline is required to
contain ethanol. Funny thing is, when I would fill the car in Vermont
BEFORE they added ethanol was when I got the WORST mileage; 24 MPG with my
LHS (it usually got 28 MPG on Mass gas), 23 with a Grand Voyager (it got
27 in Mass), and 27 in my Scion tC!!! (it now gets 32).

Um, we won't talk about the Supra, OK?

Old December 4th 09, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_2_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:16:36 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> What does JSB have to do with the gas I use?
>>>

>> I'll plead the Fifth...

> Make it Crown Royal and I'll be right over!

I know someone who used to mix Crown Royal with 7-Up. To me, it seemed like
putting ketchup on filet mignon

Old December 4th 09, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
ron[_7_]

I think I heard or read one time that lower octane gasoline actually made a
bit more btu's/unit, is this true Ray?

--
Merry Christmas

Ron

Old December 4th 09, 10:37 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:31:00 -0600, Ray O wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:16:36 -0600, Ray O wrote:

>>> I'll plead the Fifth...

>> Make it Crown Royal and I'll be right over!
>>

> I know someone who used to mix Crown Royal with 7-Up. To me, it seemed
> like putting ketchup on filet mignon

True, but I usually mix mine with Coke. Makes it last longer, and I'm not
that much of an alcoholic!

However, I would like a nice Crown Royal...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n-Royal_01.jpg

Old December 5th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
G[_4_]

On Dec 4, 5:25 pm, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B > wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:15:46 -0800, G wrote:
> > How much ethanol is in the various grades?

> > In Ontario it varies.

> > 10 percent ethanol in regular to zero percent in some premium.

> > Using your figures of around a 10 percent increase in miles per gallon on
> > premium and our gas prices, the math doesn't work me and my vehicle,

> > .$0.24318 per mile on premium.

> > $0.24027 per mile on regular.

> > Maybe I will try premium and see if there is an increase that justiifies
> > the higher cost.

> Hmmm...I always thought they added ethanol to RAISE the octane?!?!
>
> Perhaps (once) I'm wrong. Anyone know for sure?
>
> BTW, they do this in Vermont also. In Mass., ALL gasoline is required to
> contain ethanol. Funny thing is, when I would fill the car in Vermont
> BEFORE they added ethanol was when I got the WORST mileage; 24 MPG with my
> LHS (it usually got 28 MPG on Mass gas), 23 with a Grand Voyager (it got
> 27 in Mass), and 27 in my Scion tC!!! (it now gets 32).
>
> Um, we won't talk about the Supra, OK?- Hide quoted text -

Ethanol waters down the energy content in gasoline.

Gasoline:
1 G1al Gasoline (mid grade) = 125,000 Btu's

Ethanol:
1 Gal Ethanol = 76,000 Btu's

So E10 would have 76,000btu x 10% = 7,600btu

125,000btu x 90% = 112,500btu

Total btu content 120,100btu or 96.08% energy
content of straight gasoline.

E85 = 83,350btu or 66.8% energy content of straight gasoline.

Old December 5th 09, 06:25 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_2_]

"ron" > wrote in message
>I think I heard or read one time that lower octane gasoline actually made a
>bit more btu's/unit, is this true Ray?
>
> --
> Merry Christmas
>
> Ron

The BTU content of regular and higher octane fuel is the same if the only
difference were octane content. Premium fuels usually have other additives
besides octane, which muddies the comparison somewhat.

Higher octane fuel allows ignition timing to be advanced more and
compression to be higher, both of which allow the engine to burn the fuel
more efficiently and increase performance.

Old December 5th 09, 06:26 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_2_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:31:00 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Make it Crown Royal and I'll be right over!
>>>

>> I know someone who used to mix Crown Royal with 7-Up. To me, it seemed
>> like putting ketchup on filet mignon

> True, but I usually mix mine with Coke. Makes it last longer, and I'm not
> that much of an alcoholic!
>
> However, I would like a nice Crown Royal...
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n-Royal_01.jpg

I wonder if it comes in a nice little blue sack?