Can I remove/disable a gear shift interlock solenoid?

Old December 21st 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
yaugin

Default Can I remove/disable a gear shift interlock solenoid?

I'm having a problem with my vehicle where the gear shift (automatic
transmission) will not move out of park unless I hold down the manual
shift lock release mechanism. Searching on the web this seems to be an
issue across all makes. For the record mine is a 2004 Suzuki Forenza
with less than 25k miles. When I took it to the dealer, they told me
that it was not covered by my powertrain warranty and that it would
cost $370 for the part. With labor, who knows.

This is not something I can easily afford and it seems like a lot for
something that I can work around. So I was wondering if it is possible
to just have this part removed or otherwise disabled so that it simply
stops locking the gear shift entirely. Or is it required for overall
function?
Old December 21st 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:01:11 -0800 (PST), yaugin >
wrote:

>I'm having a problem with my vehicle where the gear shift (automatic
>transmission) will not move out of park unless I hold down the manual
>shift lock release mechanism. Searching on the web this seems to be an
>issue across all makes. For the record mine is a 2004 Suzuki Forenza
>with less than 25k miles. When I took it to the dealer, they told me
>that it was not covered by my powertrain warranty and that it would
>cost $370 for the part. With labor, who knows.
>
>This is not something I can easily afford and it seems like a lot for
>something that I can work around. So I was wondering if it is possible
>to just have this part removed or otherwise disabled so that it simply
>stops locking the gear shift entirely. Or is it required for overall
>function?

I'm sure you can have it "removed/disabled" but you won't find a shop
that will do it because of the liability.
Old December 21st 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:01:11 -0800 (PST), yaugin > wrote:
>I'm having a problem with my vehicle where the gear shift (automatic
>transmission) will not move out of park unless I hold down the manual
>shift lock release mechanism. Searching on the web this seems to be an
>issue across all makes. For the record mine is a 2004 Suzuki Forenza
>with less than 25k miles. When I took it to the dealer, they told me
>that it was not covered by my powertrain warranty and that it would
>cost $370 for the part. With labor, who knows.

>This is not something I can easily afford and it seems like a lot for
>something that I can work around. So I was wondering if it is possible
>to just have this part removed or otherwise disabled so that it simply
>stops locking the gear shift entirely. Or is it required for overall
>function?

Try calling a shop specializing in setting up cars for the handicaped.
You clearly qualify.
Old December 22nd 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
yaugin

On Dec 21, 2:48*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> What's the actual interface? A key slot? A *button?

It is a key slot.