95 SW2 Wagon

Old May 14th 04, 04:17 AM
Ray Kultgen

Default 95 SW2 Wagon

Hi,

First time posting here. I just bought a 95 Saturn SW2. I knew it had an
engine problem before I bought it. I am prepared to change the engine; but,
before I do I have a few questions about what typically goes wrong with
these engines.

First, Cylinder 4 has no compression. The engine looks great under the valve
cover and my guess is that it was well maintained. Cams and chain also look
great. So here is my real question, What is more common on these engines
Burnt valves or actual piston / ring problem.

I will probably pull the head this weekend. I'm just curious what typically
fails.

Thanks,

Ray

Old May 14th 04, 04:30 AM
Jonnie Santos

Coked rings from what I've read...

Old May 16th 04, 02:55 PM
Ray Kultgen

I pulled the head yesterday and No 4 cylinder is bad. Rings are visible from
the top. Looks like maybe a bad episode of starting fluid.

Cylinders 3,2, and 1 are looking bad also. The head may be OK; but, it was
beat pretty bad from the pistons coming apart.

I was surprised it ran the way it did. The engine is done. Looking for swap
engine now. Possibly newer year if everything works out.

How good are the 02 engines, big improvement or just newer?? I am
considering the conversion.

Thanks

Ray

Old May 19th 04, 02:49 PM
Oppie

I'd expect to see a burnt exhuast valve and seat. with any luck you can have
the head rebuilt. If the cylinder wall is scored, you probably have a broken
ring. Good luck with the tear-down.

Oppie