I Need to Get on the FasTrak

Old April 10th 06, 01:58 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Default I Need to Get on the FasTrak

Scott the Aztlanian wrote:

> Anyway, while I was mired in gridlock, I noticed that the cars in the
> toll lanes were flying past us like we were standing still (OK, we
> WERE standing still). It looked *exactly* like this video:
>
> http://www.91expresslanes.com/virtdrive.html
>
> I would have gladly paid the toll to use those wide-open express
> lanes. Hell, I would have even paid double, like the non-transponder
> users do on the Chicago Skyway. But unlike the 241 and 261 toll roads,
> the 91 express lanes are FasTrak ONLY, so I was screwed. A
> questionable business decision, to be sure, but that's the reality.

That's what driving in the diamond lane north on the 605 from Whittier
to the 210 looks like, but no separation beyond a double yellow line.
Scary. Zipping along at 70 mph past the stopped traffic, just waiting
for some yahoo to decide to hop into the diamond lane without realizing
that 70 mph traffic arrives REALLY fast. Wonder how often that happens.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 10th 06, 02:12 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

The Real Bev wrote:

> That's what driving in the diamond lane north on the 605 from Whittier
> to the 210 looks like, but no separation beyond a double yellow line.
> Scary. Zipping along at 70 mph past the stopped traffic, just waiting
> for some yahoo to decide to hop into the diamond lane without realizing
> that 70 mph traffic arrives REALLY fast. Wonder how often that happens.

BTDT on other area highways too.

The newer part of the 210 has only the double-yellow, as does the 57, IIRC.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, CA
Old April 10th 06, 03:32 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

The Real Bev wrote: <brevity snip>

> That's what driving in the diamond lane north on the 605 from Whittier
> to the 210 looks like, but no separation beyond a double yellow line.
> Scary. Zipping along at 70 mph past the stopped traffic, just waiting
> for some yahoo to decide to hop into the diamond lane without realizing
> that 70 mph traffic arrives REALLY fast. Wonder how often that happens.

I'll take a WAG. About equally as often as a SoCal driver concludes
driving past stopped traffic with no barrier at 70 mph wasn't the best
idea they've ever had...
-----

- gpsman

Old April 10th 06, 09:36 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

gpsman wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote: <brevity snip>
>
>> That's what driving in the diamond lane north on the 605 from Whittier
>> to the 210 looks like, but no separation beyond a double yellow line.
>> Scary. Zipping along at 70 mph past the stopped traffic, just waiting
>> for some yahoo to decide to hop into the diamond lane without realizing
>> that 70 mph traffic arrives REALLY fast. Wonder how often that happens.

> I'll take a WAG. About equally as often as a SoCal driver concludes
> driving past stopped traffic with no barrier at 70 mph wasn't the best
> idea they've ever had...

That's how it works here. Name your poison.

--
Cheers,
Bev