Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers?

Old March 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers?

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>For the
>most part, however, these studies reaffirm what I've been saying all
>along: teenaged drivers, as a group, often don't have the good
>judgement to safely operate a 2-ton death machine.

How different is the risk taking and cell phone using behavior
for teenage drivers versus drivers in general? Or knowing someone
you would be afraid to ride with due to dangerous driving?

While teenagers likely do have a higher tendency to take stupid
risks (made worse by lack of experience), there are also plenty of
non-teenage drivers who take stupid risks and/or never seem to have
learned anything by experience (e.g. the driver whose car has the
front end smashed in who still tailgates).

Timothy J. Lee
Old March 2nd 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Timothy J. Lee > wrote:
>In article >,
>Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>>For the
>>most part, however, these studies reaffirm what I've been saying all
>>along: teenaged drivers, as a group, often don't have the good
>>judgement to safely operate a 2-ton death machine.

>How different is the risk taking and cell phone using behavior
>for teenage drivers versus drivers in general? Or knowing someone
>you would be afraid to ride with due to dangerous driving?

The study was done without a control group or sample, which of course
makes it unable to answer that question.

It's just a (probably IIHS-funded) push for graduated licensing, which
has previously been justified based on scary figures like "40% of
teen accidents happen in between 9pm and 6am" (said figure being 38%
of the day...) and based on a "decrease" in fatal crashes from 299 to
301 after graduated licensing was instituted.

Insurance companies like graduated licensing because by allowing teens
to drive less, it reduces the company's exposure, but by keeping those
teens on the books as licensed drivers, they still get the same high
premiums. They'd do it to adults if they could get away with it.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 2nd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

> While teenagers likely do have a higher tendency to take stupid
> risks (made worse by lack of experience), there are also plenty of
> non-teenage drivers who take stupid risks and/or never seem to have
> learned anything by experience (e.g. the driver whose car has the
> front end smashed in who still tailgates).

When I went overseas for a couple of years, I left my car with my sister in
law. When I LEFT, the body was in perfect condition, other than a couple of
hail dents on the upward facing surfaces. When I got back, two doors were
smashed in, the front grill was caved in (the parts that weren't completely
torn off, that is) and a tail-light was broken. She admitted that all of
the damage was her fault. Anyway, I wasn't planning to keep that car much
longer, so I drove it that way. It was the PERFECT car for New England
driving. I always had the right-of-way, regardless of whether I actually
did or not.

Anyway, my point is . . . don't assume that the driver currently in the car
is the driver who smashed up the front end. -Dave

Old March 2nd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> No offsense, but I'm going to err on the side of caution and assume
> that the driver with the smashed-up car is someone I don't want to
> allow to violate my space cushion.

On the same trip where the kid turned left directly in front of me
causing the right front corner of my car to be smashed, some guy on a
motorcycle decided to have a battle of wills with me for space, where it
would have been the right front corner that would have hit him. Not
exactly the brightest bulb.

Old March 7th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:48:15 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>multitasking abilities: the adults would dial one digit and then look
>back at the road before dialing the next digit; the teenagers would
>take their eyes off the road and focus on the keypad while they dialed
>the entire number. The teenagers in the study did not see 53% (that's

Great article, but it's left me wondering why the **** people are
looking at their phone to dial? Did they change the keypad in the
past 20 years? Can people not remember that 0 is between * and #? Has
voice-dialing really not caught on, even though my phones have had it
for 5 years now? What the ****?

I rarely look at my phone unless I'm reading the Call ID, a text
message, or online on it. What did these morons do in the days before
cell phones, when the number wasn't displayed as you type it?

Dave
---
http://www.davidphogan.com/sdroads
Amature Ass(phalt) and more!

Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers? Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 7 March 7th 06 02:47 AM
Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers? gpsman Driving 0 March 1st 06 05:36 PM
How To Get 1 Million Visitors Without Paying A Dime In Advertising sevil ince BMW 0 October 11th 05 07:48 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM