Spec on UK 525 TDS ?

Old March 8th 05, 12:20 AM
nick smith

Default Spec on UK 525 TDS ?

I am thinking of getting a 1995 525 TDS touring as it's "there, and
inexpensive".

Is this the intercooled 143 bhp engine, or if not, can someone tell me the
power / torque for this engine and any particular faults to check for ?

Thanks,

Nick

Old March 8th 05, 08:17 AM
Peter Bozz

nick smith wrote:
> I am thinking of getting a 1995 525 TDS touring as it's "there, and
> inexpensive".
>
> Is this the intercooled 143 bhp engine, or if not, can someone tell me the
> power / torque for this engine and any particular faults to check for ?

It is indeed the intercooled 143 bhp engine. Max torque 260 Nm at
2200rpm (excuse the Euro Units). If the car has been maintained well and
serviced properly and regularly, then there very little to worry about
engine-wise. The engine should start quickly and evenly every time, hot
or cold. You might want to make sure the original flaky water pump with
the plastic impellers has been replaced with a newer one with metal
impellers. Otherwise, these engines are very well built and should last
virtually forever (mine's at 200,000 miles and feels like it's only been
broken in).

Nothing else I can think of except generic things like making sure the
viscous fan clutch is ok, rad isn't clogged etc....
Old March 8th 05, 08:27 AM
nick smith

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the confirmation - I will check out the car armed with this info !

Thanks,

Nick

Old March 8th 05, 11:51 AM
John Burns

> I am thinking of getting a 1995 525 TDS touring as it's "there, and
> inexpensive".
>
> Is this the intercooled 143 bhp engine, or if not, can someone tell me the
> power / torque for this engine and any particular faults to check for ?

Good car, IF looked after. Some had the dreaded TRX (exensive and not
great) tyres, so check for that.

The TDS is intercooled, TD isn't.

If it's up in the miles brake hard from speed and watch for shimmy due
to worn steering components, not that dear to fix.

E34s last well unless really abused.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!